Last Call For Recipes
  Re: Last Call For Recipes by cjs (If anyone has been t...)
We love this recipe. You may use it if you wish. It was my hubby's grandmother's recipe. Her name was Laura Behrendt too. Funny huh? Anyway, it's wonderful and it's been loved by tuna casserole hater's everywhere.

Grandma Behrendt’s Tuna Casserole

• 2 ½ cups dry elbow macaroni
• 6 tablespoons butter
• 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped green bell pepper (optional, but good)
• 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
• 1 ½ cup milk
• 1 cup frozen green beans
• 1 can cream of mushroom soup
• 1 can (about 7 ounces) albacore tuna, drained
• 1 ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
• French Fried Onions

PREPARATION:
Cook macaroni according to directions, until tender but not completely done drain and rinse. Melt butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven; add chopped onions and bell pepper and sauté over low heat. Add flour, seasoned salt and cook while bubbling for 1 minute stirring constantly.

Add milk and mushroom soup and stir over low heat until smooth and thickened. Add cooked macaroni, flaked tuna, green beans and half of the cheese to sauce mixture, stirring constantly.

Pour mixture into 2-quart buttered casserole; top with remaining cheese then French Fried Onions. Bake at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes, or until nicely browned.

Tuna casserole serves 4 to 6. Great with biscuits and salad on the side.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Last Call For Recipes by luvnit (We love this recipe....)
Thanks Laura - we had that name thing in our family also. Roy's aunt's name was the same as mine (her maiden name) and she often remarked of the special bond between us because of it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Last Call For Recipes by cjs (Thanks Laura - we ha...)
GRANDMA NETTIE’S PASTA FAZULE
5 or 6 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 lg onion finely chopped
lots of fresh basil and oregano
3 T olive oil
1 can red kidney beans
1 cup cooked elbow macaroni
Salt and Pepper to taste
Sauté the garlic and onion in the olive oil till very lightly browned. Stir in the herbs for a few seconds and then add the beans liquid and all and heat thru. Toss over the cooked elbows and serve with Italian bread.
Over the years I’ve sautéd zukes, broccoli and other veggies along with the onion and garlic and served over Rotini, but this here is Grandma’s original. Food for poor people she would call it. God, I miss her, and I would be honored if you could include it.
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Last Call For Recipes by farnfam (GRANDMA NETTIE’S PAS...)
I love pasta and beans together!!! thanks cis.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Last Call For Recipes by cjs (I love pasta and bea...)
I think you have my Greek Pasta recipe I created with my Great-Grandmother...??? It is a family favourite on both sides of my family (mine and Holly's) and I know it has brought a few families together around the table here and on one other site so I would hope you would consider it...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)