What's cookin' for the Sunday menu?
  Re: (...)
Decided to try another C@H recipe for dinner tonight, so I did the prep work for the Gyro recipe in the current issue. Very quick and easy and looks like it's going to be a good one. Picked up some fresh corn to put on the grill also. Dessert will be some fresh strawberries and whipped cream.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: What's cookin' for the Sunday menu? by Mare749 (Decided to try anoth...)
Unless I run into a MAJOR snag, I plan to finally make the Pork Chops with Bourbon Cream Sauce from LJ's dinner review a while back. I don't want to have to run into town, so I'm fixing polenta, hopefully Jean's new find, and a simple salad...I've got some salad stuff that needs using before it goes bad.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's cookin' for the Sunday menu? by Gourmet_Mom (Unless I run into a ...)
Cheddar and Asparagus stuffed chicken breasts and a salad...nothing too fancy. Have a telephone interview at 11:00 am on Monday and work at 2:00 pm until midnight and then back to work for 8:00 am on Tuesday. Not a week for cooking.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: What's cookin' for the Sunday menu? by Mare749 (Decided to try anoth...)
I made a roast pork loin recipe from The New Basics Cookbook. It is simple and good... rub loin with 1 T minced ginger and 2 teaspoons of minced rosemary, salt and pepper. Put on rack in shallow roasting pan. Pour 1 cup dry white wine in the pan. Roast at 350 for an hour. Mix 3 tablespoons of pan liquid with 3/4 cup of lemon marmalade. Pour over top of pork and cook about 30 minutes longer. Serve pan sliced pork with pan juices. We had oven roasted potatoes and broccoli with it.
  Re: Re: What's cookin' for the Sunday menu? by HomeCulinarian (I made a roast pork ...)
Thanks for the recipe, HC. That sounds very good!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's cookin' for the Sunday menu? by Mare749 (Thanks for the recip...)
Oh, that does sound good!! We had big ole carnivore beef ribs with goopy sauce and a pasta salad. Love this weather to cook and eat out on the deck.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's cookin' for the Sunday menu? by cjs (Oh, that does sound ...)
A little restaurant in Isleton (near where we used to live) called those ribs Flintstone Ribs. Gawd they were good - may have to do them again soon.

I tried a new recipe from Smoke & Spice for a smoked corned beef (Costco had them for 97 cents a pound!) It was very good, but waaaaaay waaaaay to salty for our taste.

Deli Smoked Brisket

Rub
1/4 c cracked black pepper
1/4 c cracked mustard seeds
1/4 c cracked corriander seeds
6 TBS salt - way way too much
2 TBS garlic powder - I also added 1 TBS onion powder

Mop

3 TBS of reserved rub
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup water

heat over med. heat until well mixed.
Coat the brisket heavily with as much of the rub as it takes to thoroughly coat it. Reserve the balance

Heat the smoker (we used our grill & smoke boxes) to 200 to 220. Cook for 3 hours - mopping every 45 minutes. Then wrap in foil and return to the grill to cook for another 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Bob cooked it at the upper end of the temp range mostly to keep the smoke going. We mopped more frequently, and he refused to wrap it in foil. It cooked for about 5 hours, and I'd have given it another hour - but we were starving. We tented it with foil and let it sit for about 30 minutes before carving.

Next time we'll soak the corned beef in water before rubbing it and we'll reduce the salt in the rub. The mustard taste really came through - we used brown mustard seeds, and I think next time I might reduce the pepper or corriander and add a bit more mustard and onion powder. We liked the acidity that the mop added which makes me think that a mustard BBQ sauce would be great with the leftovers. Very Very good, just served it with a potato salad seasoned with dill and cilantro! Nice dinner - other than trying to cut the end of my thumb off Must get new glasses, everything's about 1/2" off target lately.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's cookin' for the Sunday menu? by firechef (Cheddar and Asparagu...)
" Cheddar and Asparagus stuffed chicken breasts "

That sounds good! I grilled a chicken on the rotisserie. Rubbed some butter under the skin, a gave it a good coating of Montreal Chicken spice.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.