Welcome my dear Friend.
  Re: Re: Welcome my dear Friend. by Lvtahoe (That was funny!! Lov...)
Welcome, Joan! I think I was either Italian or Southern in a past life.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Welcome my dear Friend. by Lorraine (Welcome, Joan! I th...)
Um...yes she can share the crab cakes...Federal Express baby!

*sits on the front porch with her knife and fork waiting for the FedEx man*
  Re: Re: Welcome my dear Friend. by DFen911 (Um...yes she can sha...)
ROTFLMAO
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Welcome my dear Friend. by Harborwitch (I haven't tried that...)
Nori is dried seaweed, so it's the texture that gets to you.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Welcome my dear Friend. by cjs (Nori is dried seawee...)
Could be - that and the salty taste. Could also be that having lived on the beach for so long the smell of rotting seaweed is something I'll never forget.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Welcome my dear Friend. by Harborwitch (Could be - that and ...)
Odd that you should mention this Lorraine. James and I have recently discovered sushi and other Japanese foods. We both love the seaweed salad but everytime we've had it, James has gotten sick during the night. That was once at a restaurant and twice at home, too weird to be just a coincidence. He won't touch it anymore and who could blame him poor thing. Still love sushi tho' and had one called Dancing Dream at Fuji Grill in Buffalo NY, it was outrageously terriffic!!
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Welcome my dear Friend. by farnfam (Odd that you should ...)
Not a big fan of sushi nori, but do like some of the sushi - even more if it doesn't use the nori. Surprisingly (to me, no less), my favourite sushi is unagi (eel). It is very rich, though, so one may only eat just so much of it at one meal.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Welcome my dear Friend. by labradors (Not a big fan of [i]...)
Have had sushi a few times and can't say I was all that impressed. Some were okay but just nothing I like. Holly didn't like it at all.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Welcome my dear Friend. by Harborwitch (And . . . if they co...)
I made everything up for the crab cakes and put it in the fridge. Not feeling so great so may make it up tomorrow. Will let you know how it comes out.

I probably shouldn't have called it sushi as I'm not into raw fish. The recipe I found called for all kinds of other stuff (cooked fish, veggies, etc.) and I wanted to try it all. After the rice fiasco, kind of gave up!! It called for sushi rice and I didn't have any so I used basami rice...could that have been my problem??

Sharon, must share my first real sushi experience with you, when we chat, from the early '80', a fun story. Would love to spend a day in the kitchen with you learning how to do this properly.. One more thing.. I refuse to let my ignorance overshine my desire to learn..."What is Nori??" Nite, Joan
  Re: Re: Welcome my dear Friend. by Lvtahoe (I made everything up...)
Joan, all of what you said is what we love around here. While I'm more of a novice than you regarding sushi, we LOVE California rolls here and would love to be able to make them at home. (Insert "cheap" here...LOL!)

Regarding the rice....isn't there a special rice you're supposed to use or technique regarding vinegar to make the rice "sticky"? Maybe we need a seperate thread for sushi....would be fun to learn! Every time I go to "town", I buy hubby a platter of CA rolls. He LOVES them! With summer vacation coming on, it would be a great project at my house.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.