Creamy Polenta
  Re: (...)
This is really for Denise and Sharon or anyone else who cooks for crowds - this polenta can be made ahead of time, warmed up and still be nice and creamy. It's perfect on a buffet.

CREAMY POLENTA

Serving Size : 8

1 clove garlic minced
1/2 c leek, chopped
1/2 c red onion, chopped
2 Tbsps EVO
4 c vege broth
1 tsp butter
1 c yellow polenta
1/2 c Ricotta cheese
1 oz Parmesan cheese
Salt, if needed

Saute garlic, leek & onion in EVO, in non-stick pan till they are golden.

Heat broth w/butter, whisk in cornmeal and simmer, stirring often for 15 min., or till thick.

Remove from heat and add the sauteed veggies, Ricotta, and Parmesan.
Add salt, if needed.

The Polenta can be prepped ahead of time, pour into a b. dish and chill.

Heat covered in a 350° oven for ~20 min., stir and add milk or cream if needed.

Continue heating for another 35-40 min. till heated thru.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Creamy Polenta by cjs (This is really for D...)
Oh Lord - that is right up my alley. Thank you! Fantastic recipe, printed and added to the pile!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Creamy Polenta by Harborwitch (Oh Lord - that is ri...)
Oh that is great! We played with polenta in school, I had never had it before until then. I didn't know you could make it ahead. For some reason I thought if you didn't eat it after it was made it would seize up and become a brick.

I have no idea why I thought that either. So this brings up another question. I have never seen 'polenta' in the store. I've even asked. In school we used cornmeal.

Thank you for sharing this
  Re: Re: Creamy Polenta by DFen911 (Oh that is great! We...)
Larger grocery stores carry Polenta, it's a little larger grained than cornmeal, Denise.

A lot of recipes for polenta do end up like bricks if you make it ahead, that's why I've been playing so hard to get one that doesn't. I just heated up a little made two days ago (for breakfast) and it's still nice and creamy. I have one more portion to play with tomorrow...see if it lasts that long - not for catering, just for my own knowing.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Creamy Polenta by cjs (Larger grocery store...)
Just adding my two cents, even when polenta does turn into a brick, you can slice it and fry the slices in butter and that's pretty yummy too
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Creamy Polenta by farnfam (Just adding my two c...)
This sounds delicious. I'm going to have to give it a try. Thanks. You don't have a picture of it though, do you? I just want to make sure it comes out right.
  Re: Re: Creamy Polenta by chef21 (This sounds deliciou...)
Oh my Jean, this sounds YUMMY! I can't wait to try this one! We love polenta and this recipe has extras I've not tried. Since we love it plain, I KNOW we'll love this. Thanks! Copied and saved for near future use.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Creamy Polenta by Gourmet_Mom (Oh my Jean, this sou...)
Oh yeah as Maryann said, fried polenta - wonderful! (especially when that's what you're aiming for )

'Chef 21' - I do have a picture of it, I posted it with the B'day dinner thread...

[Image: Flank.jpg]

Polenta does show too well in pictures, but there tis.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Creamy Polenta by cjs (Oh yeah as Maryann s...)
Thanks for the picture 'cjs'! You are truly a master of your craft.
  Re: Re: Creamy Polenta by chef21 (Thanks for the pictu...)
Well! Aren't you just nice to say that - thank you.
www.achefsjourney.com