Dinner Review - May 5th
  Re: (...)
...and happy Cinco de Mayo!!

That flank steak was great! It was such a beautiful day we wanted to bbq, so grilled it insead of using the oven. With all the food testing I've had to do the last few days, I just could not cook more sides, so had to go with polenta and the green beans from day before yesterday. Very good combination.

[Image: Flank.jpg]

This was so good, I certainly will do it again soon and make the Chimichuri Sauce. I've done the Bravas (type) potatoes a lot, so know they are good. Good choice, P.J. and Happy Early Birthday, you little Gemini!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner Review - May 5th by cjs (...and happy Cinco d...)
Thanks, Jean, you beat me to it! I have a blessed day off from work (finally) so am able to sit here and take my time getting this review in. Here goes...

I actually had the chance to make this yesterday, coming off a six day stretch of 10 hour days. I’ve made this before (although I thought I made the American version, filled with potatoes, cheese and barbeque sauce). The chimichurri sauce really adds a lot to this, although I would like to try a version made with oregano, maybe this summer when it’s plentiful. The potatoes needed to be steamed a lot longer than the 15 minutes suggested, I’d throw them in first next time to give them a head start. But the flavor was good, I liked the crushed pepper on them. I discovered I could use mercerized cotton crochet thread when I ran out of kitchen string (I’m not recommending that, but it did the job). I cooked it a little longer than the recipe suggests, because my folks like their meat done a little more than I do, but I took the middle slices, so it was medium rare, though the picture doesn’t look it. Next time I’ll pull it a little earlier and let it rest to finish.

Sorry about the picture, it looks like I slapped it on the plate and dumped sauce over it. Well, that’s what I did, cause I was hungry and it was 8:30 PM. I’m thinking another cheese would work here, as well, I’d like to make a blue cheese version someday, with another sauce. (In all my spare time)

[Image: DSCN0944-1-1.jpg]

A favorite, for sure!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Dinner Review - May 5th by pjcooks (Thanks, Jean, you be...)
Sorry I jumped the gun - everyone's been so busy lately, didn't know who might show up early or not.

I bet the Chimichurri sauce would have made a big difference. I did have to sub a different cheese, didn't have fontina or gouda so used Chiantino (from Christmas).

You know, looking back I sure didn't do this dish justice by trying to squeeze it in at the last minute. Will do again soon - especially since I know it grills so nicely.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner Review - May 5th by cjs (Sorry I jumped the g...)
Well, not having the specific directions for making this, I had to "wing it". Now, I'm familiar with making rolled meats with stuffing, but this was a challenge for me for some reason. I think I'd pound it next time (?) maybe. I've got to work on my technique. I was also in a hurry when I made this, so I wound up just wrapping the stuffing with the meat and using skewers (I still haven't found my kitchen twine) to hold it together. I got so flustered trying to get the stuffing to stay in! I'll work on that one!

Anyway, I subbed gouda for the fontina, and I was in a rush and didn't make the potatoes...another time. Like Jean, the weather is so nice here, I put this on the grill, also. We really liked it, but I thought the sauce really made the dish! I will definitely try this again, especially when I have the time to make it the way it was intended. A good recipe for practicing my "rolling" technique.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Dinner Review - May 5th by Gourmet_Mom (Well, not having the...)
I ended up skipping this rolled flank steak because I was not confident in my ability or the quality of my knives to butterfly the steak. Also, I don't have the best experience with rolling or packaging meat. The fillings end up sneaking out most of the time. Your plates look so nice! I'm jealous.
  Re: Re: Dinner Review - May 5th by pjcooks (Thanks, Jean, you be...)
Just a quick pop in to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY, pj!! I also wanted to give my opinion of this dish---yuppp!!! I did make this and it was ohhhh sooooo good!!

You must make the chimichurri sauce if and when you make this again, Jean---and others...it gives a whole different dimension to the final taste. We are not fans of cilantro so I increased the flat leaf parsley a bit. YUMMM!!

The fontina melted beautifully and each mouthful was delicious flavors.

Loved the bravas potatoes, too. Very easy to make but I did decrease the amount of pepper flakes (as I do with most of the [Email]C@H[/Email] recipes). I also served with roasted asparagus--must be a NH thang--Big Grin

I will definitely make this again---a strong 8+.....the All-American option looks like a goody, too.

OT---I have just been incredibly busy and with all going on with health issues I haven't been able to participate recently but that doesn't mean I haven't been thinking 'bout y'all. I'll be baaaacckkkk!!! (when I am able, that is!!)

I would also like to add that this really is a good recipe to get those knife and rolling skills down pat---practice is the operative word, here. I also used a bit of the pounding technique to have a more even surface for easier roll-up. Fun dish!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: missing y'all---:smile: by Roxanne 21 (Just a quick pop in ...)
Daphne, I noticed that all the instructions were not included in the posted recipes when I was madly doing this at the last minute, but I 'assumed' since no one had said anything everyone who was going to make it, had access to the archives or the particulat issue. Wish I'd had time to ask....sorry. There were very in depth instructions on the method.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: missing y'all---:smile: by cjs (Daphne, I noticed th...)
Jean, when you get a chance, I'd love to have the instructions for next time. It had great flavor, and I agree with Rox, the sauce is a must. I don't know what happened with this, I just couldn't get it together...LOL! There was just too much going on last week and I was rushed. I had meant to ask someone to post the instructions, but the decision to make it was last minute. Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.