A good turnover / empanada filling
  Re: (...)
A good friend of ours (actually, my SIL's mentor from 30 years ago) was diagnosed with cancer a few months ago. When it spread to his brain, we knew it was only a matter of time. They wer ejust a great couple, and we would get together for dinners once or twice a year. We all love food! We got the call this mornign that he has passed away, and there will be a celebration of his life at there home within the next few weeks. so, I started thinking of what I could make.

I had baked a huge pork roast last month and froze the leftover piece. I was thinking empanadas. So, I chopped up a red onion and sweated it. I diced the leftover pork, added to the pan of onions, cooked it a bit, added some white wine and reduced it. Then I added some roasted garlic. Last night I made ribs, and made extra sauce, so I added some of the sauce to the mixture. The dough has to rest, so I'll make and fill them tomorrow. I think it will be like eating spare ribs in pastry. Do you think that's ok? If not, maybe I can make some changes. I do have fresh lemongrass. What do you think???
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: A good turnover / empanada filling by Lorraine (A good friend of our...)
Lorraine, I am so sorry for the loss of a friend. I think a celebration of life is so much more meaningful for friends and family.

Just reading your recipe reminds me of a steamed or baked humbow (sp?) filling. I love humbow and have not had one in quite a while.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: A good turnover / empanada filling by esgunn (Lorraine, I am so s...)
Thanks, Erin. The celebration of his life will be a great time for sure. He was President of the Canadian arm of the company for years. After his retirement, he was still CEO. And, he was an ambassador to Denmark, a board member of the Royal Ontario Museum, a self taught pianist,lots of stuff. What's a humbow?

I had kept half the meat aside. The second one I addedred wine and let it reduce, fresh chives and the minced lemongrass . I'm just waiting a bit to see what it tastes like.
  Re: Re: A good turnover / empanada filling by Lorraine (Thanks, Erin. The ce...)
Sounds great - so sorry it has to be for such a sad reason (even if the occasion, itself, may be joyful).

When making the empanadas, don't make the filling so juicy that it messes up the dough when you try to fold them.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: A good turnover / empanada filling by Lorraine (Thanks, Erin. The ce...)
Humbow or Hum Bow is a chinese bun, baked or steamed and filled with BBQ pork usually.

An interesting side note - when I googled Hum Bow - most of the links are for Seattle. This is not just a Seattle thing is it?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: A good turnover / empanada filling by esgunn (Humbow or Hum Bow is...)
" chinese bun, baked or steamed and filled with BBQ pork usually. "

I love them! Not just a Seattle thing, they're also very popular her in TO.
  Re: Re: A good turnover / empanada filling by esgunn (Humbow or Hum Bow is...)
Quote:

...when I googled Hum Bow - most of the links are for Seattle. This is not just a Seattle thing is it?

Maybe they were developed by Micro$oft, and are served with some Starbuck's coffee.

Be careful, though: if Micro$oft made them, they may reboot on you when you least expect it.

ROTFL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: A good turnover / empanada filling by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Both versions sounds delicious, Lorraine. What an interesting man your friend must have been.

Here's the Chinese Bun recipe that is really good!

Char Siu Bao - Chinese Steamed Pork Buns

Recipe By :Rhonda Parkinson,
Serving Size : 24

2 tablespoons oil
1 scallion -- chopped fine
1 clove garlic -- chopped fine
1/2 pound barbecued pork cut into small cubes
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch -- dissolved in 2 tablespoons water or chicken stock

Follow Basic Bun recipe through step 3 (preparing the dough and letting it rest).

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in wok. Stir fry scallion and garlic 30 seconds. Add pork. Stir fry 1 minute. Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar.

Pour in dissolved cornstarch. Stir fry quickly until pork is glazed. Remove to bowl and allow to cool.

On a floured board, knead dough 1 minute and roll into one long, sausage-like roll 2 inches in diameter. Slice the roll crosswise into 1 inch pieces.

Flatten each piece with the palm of your hand and roll with rolling pin into 3 inch rounds.
Place 2 tablespoons of filling in center of each round.
Gather dough up around the filling by pleating along the edges.
Bring the pleats up and twist securely and firmly.

Place each bun on 2 inch square of aluminum foil on steamer tray. Cover with a towel. Let rise 1 hour, until dough springs back when touched with finger. Remove towel.

Steam over briskly boiling water 10 minutes. May be prepared in advance. May be frozen. Thaw out in plastic bag and resteam 10 minutes.

(*Note: This recipe is reprinted from "Madame Wong's Long-Life Chinese Cookbook", courtesy of Sylvia Schulman).

Steamed Bun Dough

1 package dried yeast or 1 cake fresh yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
4 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons Crisco or vegetable oil
1/2 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons sesame seed oil

Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Add 1 cup of flour. Mix thoroughly. Cover with cloth. Let rise 1 hour, until bubbles appear.

Dissolve sugar and vegetable oil in 1/2 cup boiling water. Stir well. Cool until lukewarm. Pour into yeast mixture. Add 3 1/2 cups flour.

Knead dough on lightly floured board until smooth. Put into extra large, greased bowl in a warm place. Cover with damp cloth. Let rise until double in bulk, about 2 hours.

Divide into 2 portions. Remove first portion and knead 2 minutes. Repeat with second. Roll each into roll 12 inches long and 2 inches wide. Cut into 12 pieces (24 total).

Flatten each piece with palm of hand. Roll with rolling pin into 3 inch circles.

Brush with sesame seed oil. Indent middle of circle with chopstick. Fold circle in half so that it becomes a half moon. Crimp edges tightly with fork.

Place each roll on separate square piece of foil on steamer tray. Cover tray with towel. Let buns rise to double in bulk, about 30 minutes. Remove towel.

Steam, tightly covered, over briskly boiling water for 10 minutes. Serve with Peking Duck, Crispy Duck, or with any filling you desire. May be prepared in advance. May be frozen. Thaw out in plastic bag and re-steam 10 minutes.

----
and here's a heart smart version that is almost as good!!

Steamed Chicken Buns

Recipe By :Heart Smart Chinese Cooking

Dough:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp icing sugar
2 tbsp canola oil
3/4 cup lukewarm water
1/2 tsp white vinegar
10 squares waxed paper or parchment paper -- (3 inch)
Filling:
1 1/4 lb. ground skinless chicken
1 tbsp peeled and finely grated ginger
1/2 cup finely chopped Chinese chives
I tsp -- minced garlic
1 tin water chestnuts -- (7 1/2 oz.) drained and finely chopped
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp dry sherry
2 tbsp Chicken stock (p. 3) or Rich Pork Stock (p. 8)
1/2 tsp white pepper
2 tsp cornstarch

1. Sift together flour and baking powder. Stir in icing sugar and rub in oil with fingertips till evenly distributed.
Combine water and vinegar and add slowly to flour mixture, mixing well. Knead to form a fairly soft dough.
Shape dough into smooth ball, cover and allow to rest for 30 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, combine all filling ingredients; mix well and refrigerate.

3. To make buns, divide dough into 10 portions and mould each into smooth ball.
Roll out on lightly floured board to 4" circle. Put spoonful of filling in center of circle and gather edges towards middle.
Fold, pleat and pinch dough to seal.
Place each bun gathered-side down on square of parchment paper. Repeat procedure with balance of ingredients.

4. Heat steamer over boiling water. Space buns in steamer, cover and steam for 20 min. Serve warm. Cooked buns can be refrigerated overnight and reheated by steaming for 3 minutes before serving. Serves 10

Author's note: Solid Fats vs. Oils
We've used oil rather than the traditional lard in this dough. Lard is 43% saturated fat and has 12 mg of cholesterol per tbsp, whereas a vegetable oil such as canola oil is only 7% saturated and contains no cholesterol. Wherever possible use vegetable oil in recipes instead of a solid animal fat like lard, butter (68% satu-rated) or beef tallow (48% saturated). And experiment with cutting the total fat by 1/4 to 1/2 of what is called for. (These substitutions are less straightforward in baked goods. )

Each serving: cal: 274; carb: 28g; protein: 20g; fat: 8g; chol: 51 g; fiber: 1g; sodium: 221mg

----

Sorry Lorraine, I really got carried away hijacking your thread.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A good turnover / empanada filling by cjs (Both versions sounds...)
" Sorry Lorraine, I really got carried away hijacking your thread. "

No problem, Jean., I had forgotten those recipes. Thanks, and thanks for the kind words.

I tried the filling today, and decided I had added too much lemongrass, so dumped them both together. Now it tastes really good. Made the dough, and will fill and bake them tomorrow. Thanks!!!