Green Beans with Soffritto and Prosciutto
  Re: (...)
Oh my, are these ever tasty!! Tested this morning and anyone catering a dinner party might think about adding this to their menus - it's sure going on mine.

[Image: grbeans.jpg]

Green Beans with Soffritto and Prosciutto

2 1/2 lbs. green beans

Soffritto:
3 T. olive oil
2 medium carrots, finely diced
2 medium celery ribs, finely diced
1 small leek, finely diced
Pinch of crushed red pepper
Pinch of dried oregano
Salt & freshly ground black pepper

Prosciutto:
1 T. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 oz. prosciutto, cut into 1/4” matchsticks (can use ham also)
1/4 tsp. rosemary finely chopped
3/4 T. red wine vinegar

Beans:
In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the beans till crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain the beans and cut into 1” length. (Or leave whole for a prettier presentation) Set aside.

Soffritto:
In a medim skillet, heat 3 T. olive oil. Add the carrots, celery, leek, crushed red pepper and oregano and cook over low heat until the vegetables are just tender, about 25 minutes. Season the Soffritto with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Prosciutto:
In a large skillet, heat 1 T. olive oil. Add garlic and cook over moderate heat until fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add the prosciutto and rosemary and cook over moderately high heat until the ham is sizzling, about 1 minute. Stir in the vinegar.

Add the green beans and Soffritto to the prosciutto and toss until heated through. Season with salt and pepper and serve. The Soffritto can be made 2 days ahead.

For a buffet:
Have all three components ready and chilled. In a large skillet, heat 1 T. olive oil over moderate heat.
Add the beans, Soffritto and the prosciutto. Toss and heat until just heated through.
Add salt and pepper.

Recipe from F&W, August ‘07
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Green Beans with Soffritto and Prosciutto by cjs (Oh my, are these eve...)
Jean those sound great. I will put them on my vegi list - lots of green beans from the garden. Here is one of my favorties. It is from the C@H low carb book.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Green Beans with Mushrooms

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
8 ounces green beans
2 slices thick-sliced bacon
4 ounces mushrooms -- quartered
1/4 cup shallots -- minced
1 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar

Blanch or steam green beans.

Saute bacon in a large pan over medium-high

heat.

Add the mushrooms, shallots and sugar and

continue cooking until carmelized

Deglaze pan with white wine vinegar.

Ttoss with green beans, salt and pepper to taste

and serve immediately.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Green Beans with Soffritto and Prosciutto by cjs (Oh my, are these eve...)
They look, and sound great. Thanks!! I love beans and proscuitto.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Green Beans with Soffritto and Prosciutto by Lorraine (They look, and sound...)
Jean are you shocking the green beans after you cook them?

This dish just looks beautiful and delish
  Re: Re: Green Beans with Soffritto and Prosciutto by DFen911 (Jean are you shockin...)
yes. (and they're even good cold )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Green Beans with Soffritto and Prosciutto by cjs (yes. (and they're ev...)
Like Erin, I have lots of green beans in the garden, so this will be a great side to try out. We love green beans done this way, but have only done it with garlic, not soffrito. I'm looking forward to this one. Thanks Jean, I'm always looking for a good side.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.