Marionberry-Chipolte Barbecue Sauce
  Re: (...)
I'm tired of not making my BBQ sauces - don't know when I got out of the habit, but now that I'm a little old lady on S/S, gotta watch my pennies. Plus homemade always tastes so much better.

I got this one off the internet this a.m. we love this combination and this one is really tasty!! It makes enough to freeze and/or keeps for quite a while in the fridge.

Marionberry-Chipolte Barbecue Sauce

6 tablespoons dark brown sugar (I use Splenda Blend Brown Sugar)(my note: I didn't)
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons dark rum (can substitute a lessor amount of rum extract)(my note: I used Billy's darn Navy Rum)
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons black pepper -- freshly ground
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 cup chipotle chile in adobo -- finely chopped (my note: I used the full 1/4 cup and I think that's what I'll use next time also.)
2 cups ketchup
2 cups marionberry jam (I use preserves with no sugar added or you can use the Costco brand with sugar) (My note: I have all kinds of berry jams that I combined and used)
salt

In large saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, molasses, Worchestershire, rum, mustard, chili powder, pepper, garlic powder, allspice and cloves.

Bring to simmer over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, until all ingredients are dissolved, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes.

Stir in ketchup and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Add salt to taste.

Reduce heat slightly, add raspberry jam and 1/4 cup chipotles** and gently simmer sauce, uncovered, until dark and thick, about 30 minutes, stirring often.

Use right away or transfer to jars, cover, cool to room temperature and then refrigerate. Sauce will keep several months.
Makes 5 cups or 20 servings.

Add the chipotle peppers to taste. Since simmering will bring out the heat in the peppers, start by adding 1/4 cup of chipotles and cook for 30 minutes THEN taste again and add additional peppers if you like it REALLY HOT.

As with any recipe you can vary many of the ingredients to taste. Some items that you might want adjusting are the amount of allspice, and/or cloves or the type of preserves.

Description:
This is from RecipeZaar: "This is so tasty, it is addictive. I use it on broiled steaks, broiled pork chops, salads, cottage cheese or vanilla ice cream. It is hot and smoky but, can be made less intense in pepper heat"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Marionberry-Chipolte Barbecue Sauce by cjs (I'm tired of not mak...)
Sounds good Jean. The flavor combo looks good except for my lack of experience with marionberry jam. I'll have to play with this. Like you, I've been meaning to start making my own more often. Something to play with over the summer!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.