HEIRLOOM TOMATOES
  Re: (...)
HI,

I am soooooooo excited ...going to the farm tomorrow that has 125 different heirloom tomatoes. CANNOT wait...what a variety. Check their website..it is very impressive.
http://www.growbetterveggies.com/

You can click on the pictures and see all different kinds they grew last year.

WOO HOOOOOO
  Re: HEIRLOOM TOMATOES by piano226 (HI,[br][br]I am sooo...)
My mom usually grows several varieties of heirloom tomatoes every year. Lots of colors, flavors and shapes. They are very cool. She's taking a year off though, or so she says. They will be missed, by all, if she follows through. Bummer. Heirlooms are really great!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: HEIRLOOM TOMATOES by luvnit (My mom usually grows...)
Heirloom tomatoes look beautiful and very colorful. How do they differ in taste from regular homegrown toms?
  Re: Re: HEIRLOOM TOMATOES by coco hernandez (Heirloom tomatoes lo...)
While I am not a tomato expert I have listened to the likes of people like guests on Martha Stewart, etc. about these gems. I would have to agree that the heirloom tomatoes I have encountered are really juicy and more flavorful. However, to me, they are comparible to your own homegrown variety. But again, I am not an expert and to an heirloom tomato grower they can taste the more subtle differences. My palate is not that developed. I love a great well-ripened garden tomato. Way more flavor than store quality.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: HEIRLOOM TOMATOES by luvnit (While I am not a tom...)
Heirloom tomatoes have their seeds harvested from crop to crop to ensure the line stays intact. Many gardeners who are fanatics will not share their seeds as they have been in their families for years. They are not hybrids like so many of our fruits and veggies are. (ie disease resistant, low water, etc) The tomatoes are very flavorful and also colorful as they have different colors that swirl thru the flesh.

Sort of off topic, but not by much. My tomato plants have small green buds of tomatoes forming! And more flowers are showing up daily. I am so excited. Now if only my pepper plants would catch up. Bell pepper plant has about 4 blooms, but still only about 6" tall and my jalapeno is still only about 3" tall and no blooms yet.
  Re: Re: HEIRLOOM TOMATOES by DFen911 (Heirloom tomatoes ha...)
Don't know about heirlooms, but I'm sure at least SOME of the veggies in my fridge must be antiques by now.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: HEIRLOOM TOMATOES by labradors (Don't know about hei...)
While at the herb farm today, I picked up several tomato plants. They are all salad tomatoes, so they will go on the deck for daily use. There is one yellow pear, one cherokee purple, and a regular small red (forget the name). I'm looking forward to seeing how these do. I've never had anything other than the usual garden variety...better boys, celebrity, beefsteak, whoppers, etc. Those are all out at the garden. YUMMY! I LOVE tomatoes!!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: HEIRLOOM TOMATOES by Gourmet_Mom (While at the herb fa...)
I am doing some sweet banana peppers and a couple of other sweet varieties and maybe some herbs and spices for my new "passion" that Mom pointed out of Cajun and Creole cuisines...all are being done in pots as we are unable to plant in our yard due to acidic soil from black walnut trees. Such a shame in this part of Iowa...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: HEIRLOOM TOMATOES by firechef (I am doing some swee...)
Good luck LJ! We're new at this two. We've got several varieties of peppers out at the farm, too.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: HEIRLOOM TOMATOES by Gourmet_Mom (Good luck LJ! We're...)
For the first time, we've started a bunch of Heirloom Tomotoes from seed. So far so good.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.