Only ONE week til Derby Day...
  Re: (...)
Only a week to go until Derby Day...

Any big parties or meals planned? I have the day off (had to put in a special request as its a Saturday and all...have I mentioned I HATE my new job???)

I am doing a brunch including Hot Browns as the "main" along with a "Mint Julip Cheesecake" from an experiment a friend from a different forum did a couple of Derby Days back and of course Mint Julips for the late afternoon on the deck (if it doesn't snow) listening to the Derby and wishing we were there...

I think the Derby should be a National Holiday to replace something mundane like Tax Day...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Only ONE week til Derby Day... by firechef (Only a week to go un...)
OMG, is it time for the Derby?!?! YIKES! I haven't been watching. We don't do anything special here, but I ALWAYS watch! I love it! I'll have to check out who's running and their standings. Thanks for the reminder!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Only ONE week til Derby Day... by Gourmet_Mom (OMG, is it time for ...)
As a kid it was the Derby on the first Saturday in May and then it was time to get ready for the Indianapolis 500 at the end of the month. Of course back then the 500 wasn't live and was shown in prime time later on Sunday evening and I never got to stay up and see it all...remember the year my then step-dad recorded it on VHS for me...I fast forwarded to see Danny Sullivan spin out in that 360* spin and come back to beat Mario Andretti in 1985.

Love the month of May...historically the first real month of Spring and leads right into Summer with the Derby and 500...great food, great drink and great friends throughout the month.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Only ONE week til Derby Day... by firechef (As a kid it was the ...)
As much as I have loved NASCAR, I have never gotten into Indy car racing. With Danika (sp?) Patrick up and coming, I may just have to start watching.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Only ONE week til Derby Day... by Gourmet_Mom (As much as I have lo...)
Quote:

As much as I have loved NASCAR, I have never gotten into Indy car racing. With Danika (sp?) Patrick up and coming, I may just have to start watching.

I liked NASCAR until Earnhardt was killed and Gordon started taking over. Since then, I have just found that it no longer holds much interest for me.

Indy racing has only ever been slightly more interesting to me than has NASCAR, and drag racing slightly less. Generally, I find Gran Prix racing much more interesting, and the midget cars can also be fun to watch. For the most part, though, I am just not that much of a car person, and haven't felt as though I've missed anything by not having watched any racing over the last three and a half years.

On the other hand, I sorely miss ice hockey, and eagerly await each season's brief spate of games offered by NBC (i.e. part of the last half of the season and some of the playoffs).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Only ONE week til Derby Day... by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
We don't hear anything about the Derby or Indy or NASCAR around these parts. Guess there are not many people around here interested. I have never seen more than a tiny glimps of any of it.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Only ONE week til Derby Day... by luvnit (We don't hear anythi...)
"...have I mentioned I HATE my new job???)" - WHAT???? You've been there, what, a week?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Only ONE week til Derby Day... by luvnit (We don't hear anythi...)
Quote:

We don't hear anything about the Derby or Indy or NASCAR around these parts. Guess there are not many people around here interested. I have never seen more than a tiny glimps of any of it.

Yeah. Who has the time with all that exciting ice fishing going on....
Buzz

I have kleptomania,
but when it gets bad,
I take something for it.
  Re: Re: Only ONE week til Derby Day... by buzzard767 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Yep. Got the freezer stocked with walleye!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Only ONE week til Derby Day... by cjs ("...have I mentioned...)
Jean...I tried their alfredo and SPIT IT OUT into the garbage it tasted so bad! The training manager and district manager looked at me as if I was nuts. I am having trouble peddling so called Italian Fast Food...the marinara is even WORSE! I have NEVER had such awful food EVER...I drive two hours one way and work in a fast food place for the first time in my career. I am being trained to babysit fast food workers that have ZERO interest in actually working in a neighborhood with hotels with hourly rates, drive by shootings and drug dealers and "corner walkers" on every corner...I have 20 years come October in mostly white linen/fine dining restaurants I am having EXTREME trouble adjusting to serving stuff that has set in steam tables for hours and came in frozen and once heated in the microwave is served in as quick as two and a half minutes and through a drive through window...

I am still interviewing at other places but if they don't pan out like the last one I am looking at fast food management for my final days in the food business. I really doubt there will be a return to fine dining after any length of time in fast food...don't think it is going to carry the weight 8 years at a known four season resort in Vermont and at the Copley Plaza in Boston and the other places in Phoenix.

I am really NOT cut out for fast food...kind of like some of the others we "know" going to work at Burger King and the like...

I am happy to be working and in life (with the exception of not being able to get a diagnosis of what is wrong as it gets even worse) in general as President Lincoln said to be in my sign off line...