Freezing Ginger
  Re: (...)
This is a really silly questions, but I just don't know.

I know you can freeze ginger and grate it straight from the freezer, but do you freeze it with or without the peeling? Any other tips?

My hubby bought me this HUGE hunk of ginger and as much as I love it, there is no way I can use it before it goes bad.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Freezing Ginger by esgunn (This is a really sil...)
I tried freezing ginger before, but after only a short amount of time, it became rubbery, so I still don't know the answer.

Here, however, the supermarkets have large bins of fresh ginger, and people even just break off little pieces of it (not cutting tiny bits of it - just breaking it where it "forks"). Thus, there is a VERY ready supply of good, fresh ginger, so it's been ages since I've even thought about freezing it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Freezing Ginger by labradors (I tried freezing gin...)
You can freeze it. I use a lot of it, so I don't often freeze it. Jean keeps hers in sherry in the fridge. (Well, I think it's Jean). You could try making some pickled ginger. Or, if it has started to sprout, you can plant a piece of it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Freezing Ginger by Lorraine (You can freeze it. I...)
Yes, I always have ginger in sherry - I've never tried freezing it, but I wouldn't think it would make a difference, skin on or off. Maybe even be a little easier to scrape the skin off if frozen??

I stuck some in the ground last summer and the darn thing still is not sprouting.... it worked once for me in California, but not this time.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Freezing Ginger by cjs (Yes, I always have g...)
Quote:

Maybe even be a little easier to scrape the skin off if frozen??

Ever since switching to using the edge of a spoon to scrape off the skin, I have never found it to be difficult. I forget where I originally heard that tip, a long time ago, but it has really made it a lot easier to use ginger.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Freezing Ginger by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
That's a great tip, Labs and one that I can't wait to try. Love to use ginger, but it does take time and I sure haven't mastered peeling it yet.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Freezing Ginger by Mare749 (That's a great tip, ...)
scraping is the only way to go with ginger, imo.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Freezing Ginger by cjs (scraping is the only...)
To answer the question, yes I freeze mine with the skin on to help retain moisture.
  Re: Re: Freezing Ginger by DFen911 (To answer the questi...)
Thanks everyone!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Freezing Ginger by esgunn (Thanks everyone!...)
Me too! I tried the first time to freeze the whole hand and then just cut off what I needed...it shattered into a million [well, maybe a hundred] pieces. Now I cut it into about 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces and freeze it. I read somewhere that you didn't need to peel it when it was frozen, IF you were going to microplane it, so I don't. The skin just kind of stays together and doesn't grate.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy