Spoonbread Making a Comback
  Re: (...)
another article from my Sante newsletter - I've never made spoonbread (that I can remember... ), but thinking of these ingredients "(adding roasted chile peppers, sweet potatoes, and Monterey Jack)" I just may have to give it a try!

Spoonbread Makes a Comeback
The San Francisco Chronicle has reported on the return of many-things retro, including leg warmers, off-the-shoulder tees, and on the culinary side, spoonbread. And, the newspaper notes, the souffle-like texture and slight sweetness of the dish make it particularly appropriate for spring.

Spoonbread, a casserole-style cornbread dish, was first popularized in the South, and was based on an American Indian porridge called suppawn (to which southerners added butter, milk, and eggs). Its light texture comes from whipping the eggs before incorporating them into the other ingredients, and by sometimes using baking powder.

Today's spoonbread adaptations are in-toe with other popular trends, such as adding local ingredients from farmers' markets. A variation of these ingredients can take a spoonbread from updated classic to Mediterranean-inspired (using asparagus, herbs, and feta) to a taste of Mexico (adding roasted chile peppers, sweet potatoes, and Monterey Jack). Breakfast and dessert spoonbreads can incorporate added sweeteners such as maple syrup or fruit preserves to add an extra level of sweetness to what is naturally derived from the cornmeal.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Spoonbread Making a Comback by cjs (another article from...)
I made it years and years ago - I think from fresh ground cornmeal (in the VitaMix) during my "hippie mother earth" stage. Yum! And the girls loved it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Spoonbread Making a Comback by Harborwitch (I made it years and ...)
I've only had this once in my life and can't even remember what it was like....so much for it being a Southern thing...LOL! Sounds interesting though, especially with the modifications.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Spoonbread Making a Comback by cjs (another article from...)
I had never heard of it until a few years ago. I love the additions you can add to it, like the green chiles. Although I know they are two disticnt dishes, it's always a toss up when I'm there, spoonbread / cornbread. I love them both!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.