Help with very special dessert, please!
  Re: (...)
New here and here I am, already asking for help!
I'm invited to dinner on Saturday and offered to bring dessert with me. The thing is that I'm not that good or imaginative when it comes to making desserts, even though I can make anything from crepes to brule's to cakes or pies. But... the thing is that I'd like to make something really special! but I can't think of anything, my brain is toast right now! And I'm trying not to use chocolate, despite being a true chocoholic
Any suggestions or new recipes I could try?
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Marina
  Re: Help with very special dessert, please! by marzyn (New here and here I ...)
Marina, strawberries are coming in here, so I KNOW you've got bunches! That give you....or anyone a start? HMMMM? I'm thinking.......
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Help with very special dessert, please! by marzyn (New here and here I ...)
Not sure why this came back to me, all of a sudden, but here's something simple and relatively quick, that you may vary as you see fit and even use as a base for whatever may come to mind.

Get a package of Stella D'Oro (no, I DON'T work for Kraft) Anisette Sponge (the sponge, not the toast) cookies (or more packages if you need to make something larger).

Depending upon the desired effect (and the available dishes and pans, use the cookies to line the bottom of a baking dish or spring-form pan.

If acceptable to you and the recipients, sprinkle the cookies with a little rum (or other favourite liquor).

For the next part of this, the original recipe I saw years ago used boxed pudding mix, but whenever I have made this as a "throw-something-together" dessert, I have always made a custard from scratch, with fresh eggs and a whole vanilla bean. Either way, make a pudding or custard, and spread it on top of the cookies, also filling any gaps.

If the pan/dish you are using is deep enough, build another layer with more cookies (and more rum) and more custard.

When done constructing all of that however you choose, top off the whole thing with a coating of whipped cream. If you built this in a spring-form pan, remove the side of the pan before applying the whipped cream, so it will be possible to cover the whole thing. After that, add whatever decorations strike your fancy.

This is best if made a little ahead of time (and kept in the fridge), to allow the rum to soak in well.

-----

Another thing I did, once, for a friend's birthday, was a white-chocolate mousse, but instead of serving it in little cups or bowls, I spread it into a thin (but not TOO thin) layer on a baking sheet, then carefully placed raspberries on top to spell out "Happy Birthday" and the friend's name. It was a big hit with the birthday girl and everyone else.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Help with very special dessert, please! by labradors (Not sure why this ca...)
Labs hit the nail on my idea...kinda tiramisu-ish. You know what flavor liquer to use with berries, so take it from there!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Help with very special dessert, please! by Gourmet_Mom (Labs hit the nail on...)
How about something a little off the wall? These little goodies are great - if you imbibe...
These are fun at a dinner party.

DRUNKEN FLOATS

1 serving

In a tall glass (I used margrita glasses), add 1 scoop of Vanilla ice cream (I used Coffee). Pour 2 shots of vanilla vodka over the ice cream.

Fill glass the rest of the way with root beer. Drizzle chocolate syrup and/or 1 more shot of Vanilla Vodka on top.

(I put the chocolate sauce in the glass first, then the ice cream - the layers looked pretty) Serve with a spoon & a straw. Man, these are good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Help with very special dessert, please! by cjs (How about something ...)
Holy Cow Jean! I don't like root beer and this still sounds good!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Help with very special dessert, please! by cjs (How about something ...)
Yummy Jean! Yes, we have nothing against drinking, are you kidding? With my Russian background? LOL half a dozen different types of vodka at any time in my freezer!
Thank you guys for the suggestions, but finally I decided on a blackberry walnut cake (home-made jam). What I haven't made up my mind about is whether to use ganache or buttercream to cover it (buttercream between layers, 3 of them, not very light, is it!). My other choice was a tropical mousse (Mango-pineapple) but not very practical for many reasons.
Still thinking about a Sacher Torte, but I'm trying to avoid chocolate this time.
Thankful bearhugs,
Marina
T.G.I.F!!!!!!!!
  Re: Re: Help with very special dessert, please! by marzyn (Yummy Jean! Yes, we ...)
Holy Cow Jean...that sounds good. I can't do root beer and chocolate together so a substitute for the root beer might be in order...or leaving out the chocolate sauce all together?

Thinking of other variations of this one...makes me wish I wasn't skipping my Iowa State Cyclones football season tickets this year. This would be fun for tailgating...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Help with very special dessert, please! by firechef (Holy Cow Jean...that...)
Balsamic Strawberries and Angel Food cake.

This is a very tasty dish.

1 Pkg of pre-made Angel Food cake.
2 pkgs of strawberries (not the little square packages but I guess you could say 2 would fit inside one of the packages I'm talking about)
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
1/4 c. honey - I like the strong flavored honey
1 c. strawberry glaze

Mix the vinegar, honey and glaze together. Slice the strawberries and pour the mixture over and let them set in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Now you can make your own whipped cream. I use 1 pint of heavy whipping cream. Put into mixer and as the soft peaks form start adding honey till you reach the desired sweetness. Whip to the consistency you want and cover tightly and put into the fridge.

Now to serve get out those Merlot glasses, or any wine glass. Tear up small chunks of the angel food and put in the bottom of the glass. Next scoop some of the strawberries and their glaze and arrange over the cake. Next layer the whipped cream on. Top with a perfect strawberry slice.

Enjoy
  Re: Re: Help with very special dessert, please! by DFen911 (Balsamic Strawberrie...)
Love the idea of Balsamic in a dessert...don't see too much of it in the sweet applications and it is perfect for them in my opinion and obviously yours as well.

I'll give this one a shot when I can. Don't know if it will be during strawberry "season" or not but I can usually find them year round. Just a bit pricier during certain times of the year of course.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)