The Garden
  Re: (...)
Is anyone planting a garden this year? Last year, we planted too early. My poor tomato and pepper plants bit the dust after a late freeze and the drought took out the rest. This was our first attempt at a BIG garden. Not to be outdone, we are trying again this year. We have 3 long rows of G90 corn, 93 potato sets, 5 zucinni, 8 summer squash, 3 types of beans, 3 types of peas, 3 types of onions, 2 types of cucumber, beets, radish and turnips. We are also going to put in a variety of peppers and some more tomato this weekend, I hope. I'm hoping for a good year this year! At the house, I plan to plant sage, basil, Italian parsley, Bee Balm, Lemon balm, Sorrel, Garlic chive, Basil, Salad burnet, and whatever else I can find at the herb farm this weekend.

Anybody else planning a garden?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: The Garden by Gourmet_Mom (Is anyone planting a...)
The Garden was great. Sure, it had a number of bad seats because some of the columns would get in the way, but I was glad to have been able to see Phil Esposito, Gerry Cheevers, Ken Hodge, Wayne Cashman, and my childhood idol: Bobby Orr.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: The Garden by Gourmet_Mom (Is anyone planting a...)
Oh, I'm so glad you asked! I was just getting ready to post this very question since it's a popular topic at this time of the year.

Yes, we are hoping to plant a nice garden, but here in Northeast Ohio we can't really put anything into the ground until around Mother's Day, except for bulbs like tulips that can winter over.

Last summer was my very first attempt at gardening. I've never had a green thumb like my mom did, but decided I wanted to give it a try. It was amazing to me how therapeutic it is to have a small garden. This year, we will probably do about the same as last year. We had several varieties of tomatoes and peppers, basil, oregano and sage. And I want to be sure to grow zucchini and yellow squash this year, since I forgot to plant them last year. My hubbie planted a very pretty patch of wildflowers that we really enjoyed.

Some people like to start their plants from seeds, usually around the middle of March, but we didn't do that so we will be visiting the garden center instead. That was my new favorite store last year. So, what is everyone else doing?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: The Garden by Mare749 (Oh, I'm so glad you ...)
I loved the Gahden myself...better than the Hahtfud Civic Center. Then again what was up with those green uniforms? I saw Pete Peters in goal in my younger days as well as Mike Mulberry and his majesty the great number 7/77 himself...ah those were the days. Odd they are the ONLY New England team (not including the Whalers) not to win a championship in my 34 years of life if I remember right????

As for a vegetable garden...no dice here. My yard is small and full of black walnut trees that give too much shade and ruin the soil and the dogs don't help much either...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: The Garden by firechef (I loved the Gahden m...)
OOHH, count me in! Unfortunately, I'm with Maryann, but I have learned nothing fragile goes in until after Memorial Day. And generally, the ground doesn't warm up enough to for the plants to do anything until after that anyway.

So here is my list . . . potatoes, about five different kids of lettuce, spinach, kale, green and yellow beans, red and yellow beets, onions (yellow and red, still eating both from last year), cabbage (red and green), brussel sprouts, zucchini, summer squash, three kinds of winter squash, pumpkins, hot peppers and green peppers, carrots, rutabagas, about 150 tomato plants, and parsley and basil. Can't wait!!! As Alton Brown would say . . . Good Eats!
  Re: Re: The Garden by Mare749 (Oh, I'm so glad you ...)
The snow is finally gone, so I did a bit of work in the garden last weekend. The chives are up, the sage and oregano are sprouting. Not sure if the thyme, rosemary, dill, or savoury survived, if not, I'll buy more plants. The lavender looks deader than dead, as does the tarragon. But, it's still early.

We started some heirloom tomato seeds, and some habaneros indoors. The tomatoes look good, but not a sign of the peppers. I'll also plant grape or cherry toms. The basil plants I buy, as well as two pickling cukes. I'll plant some Swiss Chard (last year I had red, yellow and green, shiso, and some mixed greens. Bought some yard long bean seeds, but I think I'll send them down to Virginia. Geez, I'm getting tired just thinking about it!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: The Garden by Lorraine (The snow is finally ...)
We're expanding our garden a little this year - I thought I was 'gardened' out, but I find I really missed my bigger garden last year. So, not sure what all we will end up planting - heirlooms, herbs, squash, peppers for sure.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The Garden by cjs (We're expanding our ...)
I do alot of flowers, although I'm trying to plant more perenials than annuals, I usually plant tomatoes but the squirrels always get them. I do have good luck with my herbs. The chives are already up and about 10" tall. Basil, cilantro, dill, parsley and tarragon finish up my pots. I planted lots of daylillies last years, we'll see what comes up. Since I wrecked my back a few years ago, planting the garden usually stiffens me up for several days.

I have a trellis with roses and clemantis which look great. And I'm hoping my climbing hydrangea will bloom this year - although they say it takes 3 seasons.

My daffodils are almost open. It's very interesting. My street is on the lake and we have a different climate from Maryann, who is only about 7 miles south of us. I'm sure their spring is in full bloom.
  Re: Re: The Garden by lxxf (I do alot of flowers...)
The first year I planted zucchini, Daphne, I planted 5 hills with 6 plants in each...think I had enough zucchini?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: The Garden by bjcotton (The first year I pla...)
OH MY Billy! I only planted 5 plants, not rows....learned last year after planting 1 short row...YIKES! I had zukes out the wazooo!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.