Hoisin-Braised Pork, Mushrooms, and Green Beans
  Re: (...)
My parents just tried this recipe (from the Feb 2000 Bon Appétit) recently, and loved it, so they emailed the recipe to me. Actually, it is available on many websites, including, of course, Epicurious, but "word of email" was how I discovered it. I made this last night, and it was delicious. Since I couldn't get the shiitake mushrooms here, and since even fresh, regular mushrooms were not available, I used canned mushrooms, but it still turned out well. Here's the recipe:

Hoisin-Braised Pork, Mushrooms and Green Beans on Noodles
(Serves 4)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/2 pounds well-trimmed boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
  • 3 tablespoons all purpose flour

• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps sliced
  • 1 cup canned low-salt chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped green onions
  • 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 2 1/4-inch-thick rounds of peeled fresh ginger
  • 8 ounces green beans, trimmed, cut on diagonal into 1 1/2-inch lengths

• 1 9-ounce package fresh egg linguine, cut in half
  • 1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
PREPARATION:
  1. Combine pork and five-spice powder in medium bowl; mix well.
  2. Sprinkle pork with pepper and lightly with salt. Add flour and toss to coat.

3. Heat vegetable oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
  4. Add half of pork and sauté until brown, about 4 minutes; transfer to bowl.
  5. Add remaining pork and sauté until brown, about 4 minutes.
  6. Return pork and any juices from bowl to pot.
  7. Add mushrooms, broth, 1 1/4 cups green onions, hoisin, soy sauce and ginger and bring to boil, scraping up browned bits.
  8. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until pork is just tender, stirring occasionally, about 50 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Bring to simmer before continuing.)
  9. Add green beans. Cover; simmer 5 minutes.
  10. Uncover; simmer until beans are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.

11. Meanwhile, cook linguine in medium pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain well. Return linguine to pot; mix in sesame oil.

12. Transfer linguine to serving bowl. Top with pork mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup green onions.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Hoisin-Braised Pork, Mushrooms, and Green Beans by labradors (My parents just trie...)
That sounds great...for some reason braised meats are becoming the big deal around here. This is copied and ready for the next time I can get Holly to eat more pork. It has mushrooms so I might be able to do this sooner rather than later.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Hoisin-Braised Pork, Mushrooms, and Green Bean by firechef (That sounds great......)
Quote:

It has mushrooms so I might be able to do this sooner rather than later.

LOL! We are mushroom lovers, too. For many recipes, my parents often double the amount of mushrooms, and I do the same.
  Re: Re: Hoisin-Braised Pork, Mushrooms, and Green Bean by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I never thought I liked them but they add such a great texture and flavour to so many foods when they are cooked properly.

I know a Chef that does "vegetarian" BBQ with big Portobello Mushrooms on the smoker. Says they are big enough to be meaty in texture and they hold the smoke and flavours well with out loosing their own flavours.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Hoisin-Braised Pork, Mushrooms, and Green Bean by firechef (I never thought I li...)
Wow, Labs, you had me at pork and hoisin!! Love the stuff, and this one sounds great. Thanks.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Hoisin-Braised Pork, Mushrooms, and Green Bean by Lorraine (Wow, Labs, you had m...)
Quote:

Wow, Labs, you had me at pork and hoisin!! Love the stuff, and this one sounds great. Thanks.

Same here! This one's copied and saved to the short list! I've noted your suggestion on the mushrooms as well. We love them here too, except for YS. I just make him pick'em out...LOL! Mean mamma, mean!

Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Hoisin-Braised Pork, Mushrooms, and Green Bean by Gourmet_Mom ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
Just had some of the leftovers of this for lunch.

Of course, I've made it no secret, here, how much I enjoy mushrooms. I'll be making more of the Mushroom, Cheese and Bacon Breakfast Muffins this afternoon.

Also, I see that same site has a new recipe: Creamy Mushroom Soup with Meatballs. I'll have to try that one, soon. Love that site!