Dessert ideas please...
  Re: (...)
I want to make a dessert this weekend. No special occasion (eh-hem other than LJ's birthday). I am just in the mood for something sweet.

Any ideas out there?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Dessert ideas please... by luvnit (I want to make a des...)
SPICE CAKE...ya'd think I had brow beaten all of you with that idea enough already. CRS and a bit on the slow side...yup old age is coming. (DUCKS and COVERS like a 1950s Civil Defense Film to avoid the slap on this one...)

What is "calling your name?" I have two three inch binders of dessert recipes I am sure I can find some ideas...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Dessert ideas please... by firechef (SPICE CAKE...ya'd th...)
I do love spice cake, but I'm not ready to try baking cake yet. Seriously, I don't know what I do, but they either fall (or get lumpy) or taste funky, something always happens. People think I am kidding about the baking thing, but I have had MORE than my share of complete and utter inedible failures for it to be a joke anymore. I can make a cake from a mix and it turns out great, but not from scratch.

Guess I am in the mood for a tart of some kind. I imagine a shortbread crust. Not sure about the rest though.
Laura
  Re: Re: Dessert ideas please... by luvnit (I do love spice cake...)
Here is one for you...

Banana Citrus Almond Torte

From Gourmet Magazine. Recipe works best if your eggs are at room temperature.

Ingredients

7 egg, separated
1 1/3 cups sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
1 teaspoon orange rind, freshly grated
4 banana, very ripe, mashed (approx. 1 and 1/3 cups)
1 cup matzo meal
1 cup almond, blanched, corasely ground
1 teaspoon salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a large bowl, beat yolks till thick and pale.

Gradually add in sugar, beating till mixture is very thick.

Beat in lemon juice and orange rind.

Add in bananas, meal, almonds and salt and beat until mixture is well combined.

In a separate bowl, beat egg whites till they just hold stiff peaks.

Fold the whites into the batter gently but thoroughly.

Pour batter into an ungreased, 9" tube pan (3 and 1/2" deep) with a removable bottom.

Bake in the middle of the oven for 55 - 60 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.

Remove from oven and invert over the neck of a bottle so torte can cool upside down.

After torte has cooled, run a thin knife around the edge and tube of the pan.

Remove the sides of the pan and run knife under the bottom of the torte to release it.

Carefully transfer torte to a serving plate.

Some baking but not a cake...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Dessert ideas please... by firechef (Here is one for you....)
Here is one that sounds like fun and isn't really a "cake" ya know...

Banana Walnut Cupcake Recipe

This cupcake recipe is for the true cupcake fan. The banana walnut torte cupcake is an indulgent treat that you can use at your next dinner party to show your guests you really know how to bake.

INGREDIENTS

CUPCAKE BATTER

• 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
• 1 1/2 cups sugar
• 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup softened butter
• 2 medium ripe bananas (mashed well)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3 large eggs
• 3/4 cup buttermilk

NUT TOPPING

• 1 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/2 cup butter
• 1/4 cup heavy cream
• 1 cup chopped walnuts

CUPCAKE FILLING

• 1/2 cups sugar
• 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup 2% milk
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 medium, ripe bananas sliced thin
• whipped cream

BANANA WALNUT TORTE CUPCAKE DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper or foil liners.

Prepare cupcake topping by combining brown sugar, butter, and cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir constantly while heating. Remove from heat as soon as butter melts.

Pour into bottom of liners, evenly dividing the topping mixture. Sprinkle walnuts on top of mixture.out clean.

Prepare cupcake batter by creaming sugar and softened butter in a large mixing bowl. Scrape bowl and add mashed banana and vanilla. Mix for 1 minute on low speed. Add eggs 1 at a time, mixing on low speed for 30 seconds after each addition.

In a separate bow, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir well. Add half of flour mixture to egg mixture. Mix on low speed for one minute. Add remaining flour mixture and buttermilk. Mix at low speed until just mixed then high speed for 1 minute. Spoon cupcake batter over the topping in cupcake liners. Make sure the batter is even spread over the brown sugar walnut topping. The liners should be 1/2 to 2/3 full.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean.

Cool cupcakes in pans for 3 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

While cupcakes are baking, you should prepare the filling. Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. Over medium heat, add milk slowly, stirring constantly. Continue stirring and heating until mixture starts to boil.

Add approximately 1/4 cup hot mixture to the beaten egg in a separate bowl in order to temper the beaten egg and stir well. Continue stirring milk mixture constantly and add tempered egg to the mixture. Stir and continue cooking until mixture is bubbly.

Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and butter. Cool 15 minutes at room temperature then refrigerate for at least one hour.

Once the filling and cupcakes are cool, you can assemble your Banana Walnut Torte Cupcakes on individual dessert plates. Carefully remove cupcakes from liners, and place walnut side up on plates.

Cut cupcakes in half horizontally and set aside top half. Spread filling on bottom half of cupcake and top with thinly sliced bananas. Put a small amount of whipped cream on top of banana layer, and carefully replace top of cupcake. Top with remaining filling, bananas, and whipped cream.

If you're feeling very creative, slice cupcakes so you have 3 cake layers. Top bottom with filling, bananas and whipped cream. Place next cake layer and repeat filling, bananas, and whipped cream. Place last cake layer carefully and top with whipped cream.

ENJOY!!!!

Cupcake Tip:

Cupcakes can be made into a formal dessert by just dressing them up a little. Try placing the cupcakes on your best china and garnishing with sprigs of fresh mint or edible flowers.
  Re: Re: Dessert ideas please... by firechef (Here is one that sou...)
Here's a fun looking one...if it doesn't work out right at least you have all sorts of Bourbon to "ease the sense of defeat"

Choclate Chestnut Bourbon Torte with a Kentucky Bourbon Cream

Ingredients
6 each eggs, separated, plus 2 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups sugar, plus 1/3 cup
4 tablespoons bourbon, plus 2 teaspoons
2 1/2 cups chestnut puree, unsweetened
3/4 cup pecans, plus pecan pieces for garnish
2 teaspoons instant coffee
6 tablespoons butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 ounces bitter chocolate, chopped
3/4 pound chocolate, bittersweet
3 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

Directions:

1. Make the cake: heat oven to 350.degrees. Grease and flour 2 nine-inch cake pans. Beat 6 egg yolks well. Stir in 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons bourbon, then blend in 2 cups chestnut puree. Stir in ground pecans. Whip egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff. Fold whites into batter. Divide mixture between the two cake pans and bake for 25 minutes. Cool on a cake rack, then remove from the pans.

2. Make the filling: Beat the 2 egg yolks with 1/2 cup of sugar. Add instant coffee and 1 T hot water. Beat Chilled butter into mixture, then add 1/2 teaspoon bourbon and stir in remaining 1/2 cup chestnut puree. Stir in chopped bitter chocoalte. Cover bowl withplastic wrap and refirgerate.

3. Melt bittersweet chocoalte with heavy cream over low heat. Stir in 2 tablespoon bourbon, transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refirgerate.

4. To assemble cake, sperad the chilled chestnut filling atop one cake layer and cover with the other. Cover the torte with the chocolate icing and sprinklw with chopped pecan peices. Chill before serving. MEanwhile, prepare a bourbon chantilly to pass at the table. Whip the 2 cups of cream to soft peaks, gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar and then fold in 2 tablespoons of bourbon.
  Re: Re: Dessert ideas please... by firechef (Here's a fun looking...)
I LOVE this one...kind of a nice sweet treat with maple and all...can't go wrong with this one.

Maple and Pecans Creamy Tartlets

This is from the issue of April 2006 of Coup de Pouce. The taste of the butter crust goes well with the taste of maple.

Tartlets Crust
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold butter, diced
1/4 cup cold shortening, diced
1 tablespoon sugar
1 egg, cold
2 tablespoons cold water (around)
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Maple and Pecans Garnish
2 cups maple syrup
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup flour
3 eggs
2/3 cup pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped

1. Tartlets Crust Preparation : In a large bowl, mix flour and salt. Add butter and shortening, and with a pastry blender or with 2 knifes, work the mixture until it has the texture of rough breadcrumbs. Add sugar and stir. In another bowl, beat the egg, water and lemon juice. Pour slowly the egg mixture in the flour mixture, mixing fast with a fork until the mixture forms a dough (add a little bit more water if needed).
2. Separate the dough into two equal parts, flatten each part in a disc and wrap with plastic wrap. Put in the fridge for at least 1 hour or until the dough is firm. (You can do this in advance and put it in the fridge. It will be good up to 3 days in the fridge).
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out a serving of dough to a thickness of 1/8 inch. With a round pastry cutter of 5 inches of diameter, cut 5 or 6 circles of dough in the dough. Do the same with the remaining dough. (roll out the remaining dough, if needed, and keep it for another use). Put the circles in medium muffin tins grooving lightlly the surround. Put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
4. Garnish Preparation : In a bowl, with a whisk, mix maple syrup, cream, flour and eggs. Spread pecans in the crusts, then pour the maple syrup garnish (fill to 3/4).
5. Cook in the preheated oven of 400 F on the third lower rack 15 to 20 minutes or until the garnish is bubbly and crust is golden. Remove from oven and let cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Put the blade of a knife on the surround of the muffin tins to loose the tartlets. Unfold delicately on the rack. Let cool.
  Re: Re: Dessert ideas please... by firechef (Here's a fun looking...)
My hubby would love the last two, both have pecans! He's nut for pecans.

I have a few days to decide. My tart pan will be here on Monday or Tuesday. I ordered a quiche pan, silpat, tart pan and pasta dryer. Amazon is having a sale. Buy 3 qualifying items and get the 4th for free. Not to bad really with free shipping I got 4 items for about $30 bucks!
Laura
  Re: Re: Dessert ideas please... by luvnit (My hubby would love ...)
Wow, good deal. What brand are they? Once I am back at work I plan on doing a bunch of home cooking on my days off so will be looking to add to my pan collection as I don't have much for baking...
  Re: Re: Dessert ideas please... by firechef (Wow, good deal. Wha...)
One is Kaiser and one is Gobel. I don't know that they are anything special, but they had decent amazon reviews. I have never had a silpat and wanted one. Today's a good day!!
Laura