Ok for the Gnocchi -

3 large baking (Idaho) potatoes (about 1 3/4 pounds), scrubbed
1 large egg
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, or as needed

Place the potatoes in a large pot with enough cold water to cover. Bring the water to a boil and cook, partially covered, until the potatoes are easily pierced with a skewer but the skins are not split, about 35 minutes. (Alternatively, the potatoes can be baked in a preheated 400°F oven until tender, about 40 minutes.)

Drain the potatoes (I put them back in the pot to help evaporate the moisture)and let them stand just until cool enough to handle. (The hotter the potatoes are when they are peeled and riced, the lighter the gnocchi will be.) Working quickly and protecting the hand that holds the potatoes with a folded kitchen towel or oven mitt, scrape the skin from the potato with a paring knife. Press the peeled potatoes through a potato ricer or foodmill. Ricers are better as they make the potato fluffier. Let them cool completely.

In a small bowl, beat the egg, salt, pepper, and nutmeg together. Gather the cold potatoes into a mound and form a well in the center. Pour the egg mixture into the well. Knead the potato and egg mixtures together with both hand. gradually adding enough of the flour, about 1 1/2 cups, to form a smooth but slightly sticky dough. It should take no longer than 3 minutes to work the flour into the potato mixture; remember, the longer the dough is kneaded, the more flour it will require and the heavier it will become. As you knead the dough, it will stick to your hands and to the work surface: Repeatedly rub this rough dough from your hands and scrape it with a knife or dough scraper from the work surface back into the dough as you knead.

Wash and dry your hands. Dust the dough, your hands, and the work surface lightly with some of the remaining flour. Cut the dough into six equal pieces and set off to one side of the work surface. Place one piece of dough in front of you and pat it into a rough oblong. Using both hands, in a smooth back-and-forth motion and exerting light downward pressure, roll the dough into a rope 1/2 inch thick, flouring the dough if necessary as you roll to keep it from sticking.

Slice the ropes into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Sprinkle the rounds lightly with flour and with the tines of a fork at a 45-degree angle to the table with the concave part facing up, roll them across to form grooves. I use a gnocchi paddle, but forks do just fine. Dip the tip of your thumb in flour. Take one ball of dough and with the tip of your thumb, press the dough lightly against the tines of the fork as you roll it downward toward the tips of the tines. As the dough wraps around the tip of your thumb, it will form into a dumpling with a deep indentation on one side and a ridged surface on the other. Set on a baking sheet lined with a floured kitchen towel and continue forming gnocchi from the remaining dough balls. Repeat the whole process with the remaining pieces of dough. At this point the gnocchi must be cooked immediately or frozen.

First lets make the sauce. You can do any number of sauces, but the one I used was Browned Butter and Sage. Depending on how many you're going to cook, I did 2 sticks of butter, start them melting over low heat. Add about 10-15 fresh sage leaves. Now turn up the heat to med/high and DO NOT LEAVE FOR A SECOND. You want to brown the butter. The minute it starts to brown turn the heat off. The residule heat will do the rest.

Too cook, get a big pot of boiling water going, be sure to salt the water and drop like 2 handfuls into the water. They will sink to the bottom and then start to float. Once they are floating cook for about 1-2 minutes. I always recommend putting 3 in, first one pull out at one min and test it, second one at minute 2 and test and third at minute 3 and test to see which consistency you like most. Never longer than 3 minutes though. Once you know what consistency you like let's start the batches.

I did them 2 servings at a time. Cooked the gnocchi then put them into a shallow stainless steel bowl and poured some of the butter mixture over and tossed. Slid them on to a plate and sprinkled some of the cheese over the top.

Enjoy
  Re: My Gnocchi by DFen911 (Ack so sorry![br][br...)
Thanks for posting this, Denise - hope you'll try the ricotta gnocchi - so much faster and very tasty! I do like potato gnocchi tho.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My Gnocchi by cjs (Thanks for posting t...)
Thanks Denise! (Just for you Jean...Caught just in time...as if Diane was bad enough the other day, I almost credited Erin...LOL!) I've got this and Jean's ricotta version copied for summer experimenting. I still haven't tried the prepackaged ones I bought. I wonder how that would be with the review dinner for a startch...or did that have a starch?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: My Gnocchi by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Denise! (Just...)
Don't forget to check out the other preparation method I posted for them in Jean's Ricotta thread. It is a nice alternative to the "traditional" sauce methods. Why treat a dumpling like a pasta?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)