Funny Food Story
  Re: (...)
While eating Oreos with my little ones today it reminded me of oldest daughter and this cute story.

All children love Oreos and when you are a parent who works, it's tough to do those 'little things' that moms do that stay home, like bake cookies. Well, since I am a clever cookie... I used to take Oreo cookies and spread them out on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven. When my daughter would come home from school I would greet her with hugs and smiles. Then I would go to the oven, open it and take out my cookies, with a hot pad (even though they were not hot). I would give her a plate of cookies and milk. She would brag to all of her friends about how I made 'homemade' Oreos and how much better they were, etc. I would just smile and I never let on that I didn't actually bake them myself.

A couple years ago, when my teen and I were in the kitchen, eating Oreos out of the bag she said, "I always wondered how you got them to actually say O-R-E-O on the tops." She was grinning. Now she is grown up and I know she knows my little secret.

They grow up so fast. Don't they?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Funny Food Story by luvnit (While eating Oreos w...)
How cute, kid memories are so precious. I hope you don't mind but I'd like to share a story too. Once when my kids were little, I got into a baking and cooking spree one cold day. My oldest asked me "Mom, are we having company?, Why are you cooking so much stuff?" I told her there was no special reason, "I guess I'm just feeling domestic". She looked at me shocked and said "But Dad doesn't hit you!"

Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Funny Food Story by farnfam (How cute, kid memori...)
Oh my, both of these can bring a tear to the eye...YES, they do grow up too darn fast. May I add one also?

When my youngest was abut 6 or 7(it must have been a weekend), he was grounded for something and being a real bear about having to stay in the house while everyone else was out playing. I was canning fruit that day, so suggested he come help me to make the time go faster. He dug right in and when we were all finished, he said, "Can I be grounded again tomorrow?"

love these stories.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Funny Food Story by farnfam (How cute, kid memori...)
Good stories. I have a short one too...I was at my sister Marilee's and I had made spaghetti and meatballs for the very first time. Company had come over for supper and one of the ladies commented that, "This was the best she had ever eaten!" Marilee's son, who was about 5 or 6 at the time, looked at her deadpan and said, "Of course! Uncle Bill made it!"
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Funny Food Story by bjcotton (Good stories. I hav...)
ok...well if we tell funny story...I have to tell you guys my favorite one.

When my kids were little, we lived with my grandparents who took care of the munchkins. My older daughter than about 2...would not eat strawberries from table but in the summer time we have noticed that she picked strawberries in the garden and ate them. So I would go to the store and my grandfather would go at 5 am outside (making sure it was done before my daughter wakes up )and put washed strawberries on a toothpick and stick them all over the backyard. My daughter would wake up and every morning had strawberries for breakfast. It went on for years UNTIL the unfortunate thing happened and she went to kindergarden and the teacher was telling them about the strawberries and how they grow. My daughter was soooooo upset...she told the teacher that she is wrong...that the strawberries grow on toothpicks and she knows for sure because she just had them this morning. We had a little teacher parent conference after that one..and I had a bit of explaining to do.
  Re: Re: Funny Food Story by piano226 (ok...well if we tell...)
Great stories everyone! They remind me of the stories in Reader's Digest that give me a chuckle. I hope we get to hear from others too!
Laura
  Re: Re: Funny Food Story by luvnit (Great stories everyo...)
What cute stories! I loved the strawberries especially!

Well, speaking of Oreos, I've got one, too. One night we went out to dinner. The kids were 5, 2, and under 1 at the time. Ashley, the 2 YO, was still in diapers at night. The babysitter reported that she was sitting downstairs when Ashley backed down the stairs and went into the kitchen. She came back through the den and started to crawl back up the stairs. Tara went and scooped her up only to find that Ashley had stuffed several fits full of Oreos in her diaper to take up stairs.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Funny Food Story by Gourmet_Mom (What cute stories! ...)
These are great stories...

Mine is about baby daughter and my MIL - more sweet than funny, I'd say.

My MIL was 100% Italian and a fabulous cook. For every family gathering at grandma's in my youngest daughter's memory, there was always mostaccioli in red gravy, with meatballs and/or sausages. Until one holiday when my daughter was about 5, grandma didn't make the mostaccioli. My daughter pouted and wouldn't eat anything because there wasn't any "monster-cioli". After that, grandma would always make mostaccioli when we came to visit - plus some other main course, salad, a couple of desserts, and fresh bread. When grandma was failing and no longer able to cook, my daughter went with me to visit her and my daughter offered to be grandma's hands so she could learn how to make the "monster-cioli" just like grandma. It was a bittersweet day. Now when my daughter makes grandma's "monster-cioli" it brings back fond memories of my sweet MIL for us all.
  Re: Re: Funny Food Story by HomeCulinarian (These are great stor...)
Oh that is a sweet story. I am glad she went to see her grandma and learn to make the beloved monster-coili.

My husband still regrets not going to see his grandfather and learning to make the family's favorite pancake recipe. We all knew 'a little bit' about them and we tried to piece it together, but haven't managed to recreate them like he did.
Laura
  Re: Re: Funny Food Story by luvnit (Oh that is a sweet s...)
Since my little one just sits in her portable swing and grins and throws toys when I cook I only have the story of an eight year old little boy that had helped his Mother make a wonderful meatloaf before bed and wrapped it in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge all by himself...the next day after LOTS of instruction he preheated the oven and placed the meatloaf in the oven and set the dial timer and "made supper" by himself for the first time. At dinner he was the proudest little boy ever. Second grade Chef he thought...well as the meal progressed second helpings were passed around and the boy beamed from ear to ear with pride...then it happened. Mom found something on the corner of the loaf pan...sure enough it looked like MELTED PLASTIC! The laughter started after that and the pride became embarrassment and the Second grade Chef swore he would never cook again and left the table in tears not bothering with dessert or anything else...only hearing the laughter and sarcastic remarks of those around the table which included mom, step-dad, cousins and grandparents...

In case you have not figured it out I got over it and still cook...amazing how great Glad Wrap is for an "edible garnish" with meatloaf.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)