Roasting Peppers
  Re: (...)
How are you all roasting your peppers? I had never thought of using my peppers that are getting a little old, for roasting. That is a perfect idea. I assume you could then freeze them?

Are you roasting over an open flame until they turn black or in the oven? I don't have gas, so would probably have to do in on the grill? This is just one of those things I have not ventured into to.

Labs - 25 cents each? Oh Man! I but a bag of six peppers 2 red, 2 yellow, and 2 orange at Costco for just about $6.00. Can't wait for summer produce to get here!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Roasting Peppers by esgunn (How are you all roas...)
Although I have a gas range, it takes a while to roast a bunch of peppers over the burner (and the stove doesn't have a broiler), so I use the broiler in my oversized (six-slice) toaster-oven. On the average, I can usually do eight at a time, which usually works out very well.

Just put them up near the broiler until the skin turns black on the exposed side, then turn them to exposed more of the red skin to the broiler. Once they are black all over, take them out and place them in a closed container (paper bag, plastic bag, Tupperware, etc. - I use a Dutch over covered with plastic wrap) for at least 15 minutes (maybe a bit longer if you find them too hot to handle). Then, pull out and discard the stems, split the peppers open, and remove and discard the seeds.

If you just want them plain, that's all there is to it. Otherwise, I like to drizzle them with some olive oil and toss in some minced, fresh garlic, then keep them in the fridge until ready. If you like, expand on that by adding diced ham and Provolone - YUM!

When roasting them, don't let them get TOO done, otherwise you also char the flesh of the pepper (not just the skin), and that part becomes useless.

P.S.: Take a look at the label for your peppers: some of them may actually come from here. My mom just told me that the peppers she bought last week said, "From Honduras."
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Roasting Peppers by labradors (Although I have a ga...)
Erin, I do mine similar to Labs, but I just crank up the gas stove - as many burners as I need, usually two peppers to a burner. I char mine black all over. Bag them for ~15 min. as labs does, then I rub the black off without putting them under water and leaving some of the black just give mor flavor. Then stem and wipe seeds out.

They freeze beautifully. And, I think I mentioned it somewhere else - they make the house smell SO good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Roasting Peppers by cjs (Erin, I do mine simi...)
Thanks! I think I will give them a try.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Roasting Peppers by cjs (Erin, I do mine simi...)
After peeling I cover mine with good extra virgin olive oil--they keep for weeks--eat as a side by themselves, wonderful added to steamed green beans, great in sauces, and if you finish the peppers soon, use the oil for a salad dressing!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Roasting Peppers by Old Bay (After peeling I cove...)
now, that's a good idea!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Roasting Peppers by esgunn (How are you all roas...)
Great idea Erin. I never thought of using my 'old' peppers for roasting and perhaps freezing for another day! That'll save me money purchasing roasted red peppers in the jar all the time. Chaps me every time I do.

On another note, I don't think we will see the prices come down very soon or very much this year with gas prices skyrocketing. I hope you are right and they do. I am just now counting on it.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura