Chicken Divan Casserole , CAH , Vol 53---
  Re: (...)
We had this tonight, absolutely wonderful!!--We added extra broccoli, chicken, hot curry powder and added cayenne. (We do like heat). The rye bread was surprisingly good. Has anyone else tried this?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Chicken Divan Casserole , CAH , Vol 53--- by Old Bay (We had this tonight,...)
I've got this one marked! We love Chicken Divan and have not had it in a while. I think PJ or somebody suggested this as a dinner review before LJ stepped up with the pork dinner. I don't remember her mentioning a rye bread....Oh Jean, Billy, member plus people. William LOVES rye bread!

Shoot, it was Denise and she didn't even post the recipe.....I knew I remembered seeing it. I went back to make sure I had copied it only to find there was nothing to copy...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Chicken Divan Casserole , CAH , Vol 53--- by Gourmet_Mom (I've got this one ma...)
Quote:

I've got this one marked! We love Chicken Divan and have not had it in a while. I think PJ or somebody suggested this as a dinner review before LJ stepped up with the pork dinner. I don't remember her mentioning a rye bread....Oh Jean, Billy, member plus people. William LOVES rye bread!

The rye bread was the used for the bread crumble crust--really neat.
  Re: Re: Chicken Divan Casserole , CAH , Vol 53--- by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
What a nice flavor to add to a traditional dish.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Chicken Divan Casserole , CAH , Vol 53--- by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Chicken sofa?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Chicken Divan Casserole , CAH , Vol 53--- by labradors (Chicken sofa?...)
Man, another one marked but never tried yet! I do have leftover roasted chix...)

Chicken Divan Casserole
(Cuisine at home, October 2005, Issue 53, p. 15)
Makes: 6 Cups Total Time: About 11/4 Hours Rating: Easy

For the Sauce—
Saute in 1 T. Unsalted Butter:
1/4 cup shallots, minced
1/4 t. curry powder

Add; Whisk in and Simmer:
2 T. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup chicken broth

Temper Sauce into:
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten

Off Heat, Finish with:
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt and cayenne to taste

For the Filling—
Saute in 1 T. Unsalted Butter:
1 1/2 cups button mushrooms, halved
Salt and pepper to taste

Divide Between Dishes:
1 slice rye bread, toasted, torn
1 cup rotisserie chicken, cubed
1 cup frozen broccoli florets
Sauteed mushrooms
Prepared sauce
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, grated

For the Topping—
Process; Top Casserole with:
2 slices rye bread, buttered

Preheat oven to 375°.

Saute shallots and curry powder in butter for the sauce in a sauce-pan over medium heat. Cook until soft, stirring often (do not brown).

Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in milk and broth; simmer over medium-high heat until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes, stirring often.

Temper some of the hot sauce into the egg yolk, whisking to blend. Whisk the yolk mixture into the sauce, reduce heat to low, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Off heat, finish sauce with lemon juice, salt, and cayenne; set aside.

Saute mushrooms and seasonings for the filling in butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook until any moisture is evaporated and mushrooms are browned.

Divide toasted bread, chicken, broccoli, and mushrooms between two casserole dishes. Pour half the sauce over each; top with cheese.

Process bread in a food processor to make coarse crumbs, then divide between the casseroles. Place dishes on a baking sheet and bake until topping is brown and filling is bubbly, 35–40 minutes.

Nutrition Information (Per cup):
280 calories 43% calories from fat 13g total fat 23g carb. 261mg sodium 3g fiber 18g protein
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Divan Casserole , CAH , Vol 53--- by cjs (Man, another one mar...)
Thanks Jean! I've decided to use the leftover Thai chicken for a pizza (any ideas on veggies to go? I'm thinking the pepper before cooking and cukes and lettuce after or for side, but stuck on a cheese? I'm still too new to cilantro.). But the next leftover chicken will be for this! The only recipe I've ever used has been with the soup, so this should be soooo much better, especially with the rye. Thanks!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Chicken Divan Casserole , CAH , Vol 53--- by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Jean! I've de...)
hmmm, anything goes on your pizza - and with your Thai chix, James McNair has a wonderful Thai pizza!! He uses green onions, julienned carrots, bean sprouts, dry-roasted peanuts and of course....cilanto (maybe you could sub a mixture of mint and basil - that's a nice combination)and he covers the pizza crust with a great mixture of Fontina and mozz first - then just before it goes in the oven drizzle hot chili oil over (or peanut oil)

It is a wonderful combination of flavors.

From casserole to pizza in one page....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Divan Casserole , CAH , Vol 53--- by cjs (hmmm, anything goes ...)
Thanks Jean, I've got all that except the peanuts and bean sprouts. On the list...probably Monday night. I'll make my dough today!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Chicken Divan Casserole , CAH , Vol 53--- by cjs (Man, another one mar...)
Thanks Jean--I would have posted it but was just seeing if there was any interest first--You will love it--it's on our "to do again" list.