LJ's BIRTHDAY PARTY!!!!!
  Re: (...)
I have taken the BOLD position to begin a new thread for the NEXT dinner party.....that other thread is becoming a little cumbersome--IMHO!!

OKAY, LJ---you are center stage now---give us a bit more info on the recipes you have mentioned---I am sure we can get this organized in time for your birthday review!!!

YIPPEEE We have an APRIL dinner party!!!! I love the 13th-
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: LJ's BIRTHDAY PARTY!!!!! by Roxanne 21 (I have taken the BOL...)
Gosh, I am glad you started a separate thread! I didn't know that the recipes were chosen. Please, someone, post them here! I can't wait.

Did LJ pick all the dishes? or was it collaborative? I can't wait to see what was chosen! LJ has great taste!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: LJ's BIRTHDAY PARTY!!!!! by Roxanne 21 (I have taken the BOL...)
Oh sure I post the info over in another thread....don't I look sillier than normal? I would have been back sooner but when a James Beard Nominated Best Chef of the Year for two years running calls your CELLULAR phone you answer...

Here is what I put in the other thread...

Either the Pan Roasted Pork Chops with Bourbon Sauce from issue 33 in 2002 (and whatever the recommended side is for it in the magazine) OR the Steak au Poivre with Brandy Cream Sauce from issue 39 in 2003. That would be a big ditto on the sides for that on too.

I only have the two most recent issues as I didn't even know the magazine existed until I came to the forums...

If you have either recipe or both those are the two I am leaning toward. The pork as I am now an "Iowa boy" and the steak dish as it is a "classic" that any Chef would have been proud of making right not too many years ago...

There you go...any ideas on the sides if the magazines don't have them I am game. As for a dessert...if anyone is so inclined, the spice cake recipe Billy posted around here somewhere. I think it may be in the April Fool's Dinner or the other one he started that grew way out of proportion as we are fond of doing.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: LJ's BIRTHDAY PARTY!!!!! by firechef (Oh sure I post the i...)
well, crap, guess I'd better start looking at the index before posting - anyway both recipes are posted on the other long thread, so LJ can post the one he chooses here, o.k.???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: LJ's BIRTHDAY PARTY!!!!! by cjs (well, crap, guess I'...)
When the recipes are figured out, please post them if you can. I don't have either one of the these issues. I am in the dark.

I am sure they'll be tasty!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: LJ's BIRTHDAY PARTY!!!!! by luvnit (When the recipes are...)
Psst...I turned on the light in a new thread!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: LJ's BIRTHDAY PARTY!!!!! by firechef (Oh sure I post the i...)
"I would have been back sooner but when a James Beard Nominated Best Chef of the Year for two years running calls your CELLULAR phone you answer... "

Did you really think you could just slide that in with no further explanation?????
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: LJ's BIRTHDAY PARTY!!!!! by Lorraine ("I would have been b...)
I'm glad you said it Lorraine, I was just about to!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: LJ's BIRTHDAY PARTY!!!!! by bjcotton (I'm glad you said it...)
Chef Andrew Meek is opening a new "Italian Grill" in about 20 days and I was asked to come down for coffee on Tuesday morning to see how things are coming and to discuss the new place as well as his "old" one Sage the Restaurant that he has had in the Des Moines area for about 7 or 8 years now.

As for his nominations...he has been nominated for Best Chef in the Mid-western United States for two years in a row now. Considering that puts him up against Chefs in Chicago, Minneapolis, and I think even the Dallas area that is a great honour. He was also mentioned by Anthony Bourdain and another Chef for their "Golden Clog" awards for being such a great Chef in such an odd place...

Did I mention he wants me to consider being the Chef de Cuisine of his new place so he can split his time between the two restaurants?
  Re: Re: LJ's BIRTHDAY PARTY!!!!! by firechef (Chef Andrew Meek is ...)
geeeeeeesus, I'm really letting things slip right by!! What a great opportunity for you, LJ! So, what is it that you will do???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com