Piano's Farmer's Cheese
  Re: (...)
FINALLY! I got this made yesterday. Her directions said to use 2 half gallons of buttermilk, but no way would we eat all this in a timely fashion, so used just one half gallon. Next time, I'm going with a quart!

My mickey mouse cheesecloth was not large enough to make a pouch for draining, so used my chinois and this worked great.

I hope Piano comes back thru the neighborhood soon, so she knows someone finally tried her method. Now, to play with it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Piano's Farmer's Cheese by cjs (FINALLY! I got this ...)
HI,

Let me know if you need any ideas. I have a few good recipes to make with that stuff.
  Re: Piano's Farmer's Cheese by cjs (FINALLY! I got this ...)
Did I miss the "how to" part of this somewhere?????

Ooh ooh - found raw milk at Whole Foods! Wheeee! Now I'm ready to play with that.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Piano's Farmer's Cheese by Harborwitch (Did I miss the "how ...)
yes, Marina, please any and all ideas are welcome!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Piano's Farmer's Cheese by cjs (yes, Marina, please ...)
Ok...here it goes...just remember...all the ingredients are a bit approximate since they came from my grandmother and all of her stuff came with directions like a bit of this, a pinch of that and so on.

1. this thing called SIRNIKI

Bakers cheese, sugar to taste, raisins, eggs, little flour. Mix it all together. Make small patties and fry in oil. Serve with Sour cream. My boyfriends favorite.

2. Same ingredients minus flour. Put it in wonton wrappers. Boil and serve with sour cream

3. Bakers cheese, sugar, eggs and drained sour cheeries (NOT PIE FILLING)

defrost a loaf of white bread loaf...cut loaf into pieces put the stuffing in...and make almost tartlets out of it...the stuffing is showing in the center. Bake at 350 until brown.

4. This thing called BABKA..

2 lbs of bakers cheese
3 eggs
1 cup of sugar
1/2 a stick of unsalted butter melted
1/2 cup of cream of wheat cooked in milk
1/2 a jar of sour cream
1 cup of raisins

Mix all ingredients well. Oil 9 inch spring form. Pour the mixture and bake for 40 Min.

I made this last week...it was really good.

5. Make crepes and do the same stuffing as recipe one.

Hope this makes sense. Enjoy and let me know if you tried any of them.
  Re: Re: Piano's Farmer's Cheese by piano226 (Ok...here it goes......)
AAAAAArrrrgggghhh... I just put a loaf of bread in the oven!!! darn! I could have done #3

I have everything for #1 and #2!! How fun!

#4 & #5 will be on the list!

Thanks so much Marina - forget my asking if I can do a quart at a time - I'll need much more...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Piano's Farmer's Cheese by cjs (AAAAAArrrrgggghhh......)
Sharon, do you want me to pull up the thread re the Farmer's cheese for you?
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Piano's Farmer's Cheese by cjs (Sharon, do you want ...)
Oh please! All these goodies just sound too good not to have!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Piano's Farmer's Cheese by Harborwitch (Oh please! All thes...)
What is "Baker's Cheese"???? This is really neat stuff and is the kind of thing I try to use (old family recipes) to get "new generations" to cook.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Piano's Farmer's Cheese by firechef (What is "Baker's Che...)
I'm assuming 'baker's cheese' is another name for farmer's cheese.

I'll get it back up, Sharon.
www.achefsjourney.com