Monkfish & Clam "Bourride"
  Re: (...)
Been a long time since I've tried such a 'pretentious' recipe such as this one. The steps she calls for (to me) are a just 'razzle-dazzle' and really not needed. They just make the dish way to over the top prep wise. A couple of her ideas, I just quit mid-way (cooking potatoes and monkfish separately???why?) and just worked around them.

But - the flavors she combines are just wonderful and the fennel with the leeks, shallots, garlic is fantastic. So, I'll be rewriting this one and doing it again and again.

Monkfish and Clam Bourride - Gourmet | September 2002

The Mediterranean fish soup bourride is something like a bouillabaisse but has a consistency more like stew. Instead of putting the aïoli directly into the soup, as is traditional, Adams likes to dollop it onto toasts.
Active time: 1 1/2 hr Start to finish: 5 hr (includes making accompaniments. Makes 4 servings. chef Jody Adams

6 small (1 1/2- to 2-inch) red potatoes (3/4 lb)
2 large leeks (white parts only), cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1 (1-lb) piece monkfish fillet, cut into 2-inch chunks
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Slow-braised tomatoes
1 large fennel bulb (sometimes called anise), stalks discarded and bulb halved lengthwise, cored, and thinly sliced lengthwise
1 cup thinly sliced shallots (4 medium)
4 garlic cloves, 3 thinly sliced and 1 halved crosswise
24 small hard-shelled clams (2 lb) such as littlenecks (less than 2 inches wide), scrubbed well
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
4 (3/4-inch-thick) slices crusty bread (about 4 inches wide), toasted
Accompaniments: aïoli and green olive tapenade
Garnish: 8 whole fresh basil leaves

Quarter potatoes, then cover by 1 inch with salted cold water in a 3-quart saucepan and simmer, covered, until just tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain in a colander, then cool.
Wash leeks in a bowl of cold water, agitating water to loosen any sand, and lift leeks from water to a sieve to drain.

Pat dry.
Pat monkfish dry and season with salt and pepper.

Heat oil in a deep 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sear monkfish lightly on all sides until golden, about 2 minutes total (fish will not be cooked through). Transfer fish to a plate using tongs.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil from slow-braised tomatoes in skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté leeks, fennel, and shallots, stirring, until softened and edges begin to brown, 4 to 6 minutes.

Add sliced garlic and sauté, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add clams, wine, water, red pepper flakes, zest, and tomato halves and cook, covered, until clams are fully open, 6 to 10 minutes, checking every minute after 6 minutes and removing clams as they fully open.

(Discard any clams that have not opened after 10 minutes.) Using tongs, transfer clams to a large bowl or soup tureen.
Add monkfish and potatoes to skillet and simmer, covered, until fish is just cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in basil and parsley. Season with salt and pour over clams.
While monkfish is cooking, rub one side of each toast with a cut side of halved garlic clove.

Divide bourride among 4 shallow bowls. Add a garlic toast and top with a spoonful each of aïoli and tapenade.

Heat oil in a deep 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sear monkfish lightly on all sides until golden, about 2 minutes total (fish will not be cooked through). Transfer fish to a plate using tongs.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil from slow-braised tomatoes in skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté leeks, fennel, and shallots, stirring, until softened and edges begin to brown, 4 to 6 minutes.

Add sliced garlic and sauté, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add clams, wine, water, red pepper flakes, zest, and tomato halves and cook, covered, until clams are fully open, 6 to 10 minutes, checking every minute after 6 minutes and removing clams as they fully open.

(Discard any clams that have not opened after 10 minutes.) Using tongs, transfer clams to a large bowl or soup tureen.
Add monkfish and potatoes to skillet and simmer, covered, until fish is just cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in basil and parsley. Season with salt and pour over clams.
While monkfish is cooking, rub one side of each toast with a cut side of halved garlic clove.

Divide bourride among 4 shallow bowls. Add a garlic toast and top with a spoonful each of aïoli and tapenade.
-----
my note: No way would I want to use the following method for tomatoes with all the oil - slowly roasting works for me. Also Glen Muir Roasted tomatoes would works also, I'm thinking.

Slow-Braised Tomatoes - Gourmet | September 2002

The leftover braising oil is extremely flavorful. You can toss it with pasta or use it in dressings.

This recipe is an accompaniment for Monkfish and Clam Bourride. Active time: 15 min Start to finish: 3 1/4 hr
Makes about 3 cups. - chef Jody Adams

1 medium white onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, smashed
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
9 fresh basil leaves
1/8 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
12 plum tomatoes (2 lb), halved lengthwise
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat oven to 250°F.
Cook onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil and red pepper flakes.

Toss tomatoes with sugar and salt in a bowl. Arrange tomatoes, cut sides down, in a roasting or baking pan (13- by 9-inch). Spoon onion mixture over tomatoes and add enough of remaining 3/4 cup olive oil to reach halfway up tomatoes. Braise in middle of oven, stirring gently halfway through cooking, until tomatoes are very tender but not falling apart, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Cooks' note:
• Leftover tomato oil keeps, chilled in an airtight container, 1 month. You can toss it with pasta or use it in dressings.
------
my note: The Aioli and Tapendade were great the way she suggests using them. The different flavors as you eat the topped toasts with the 'bourride' - another flash of pretentiousness, it's really not a 'bourride' - it's a seafood stew/soup, is wonderful.

Aioli - Gourmet | September 2002

This recipe is an accompaniment for Monkfish and Clam Bourride. Active time: 10 min Start to finish: 10 min
Makes about 1/2 cup. - chef Jody Adams

2 garlic cloves
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

Mince and mash garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt using a large heavy knife. Whisk together yolk, lemon juice, and mustard in a bowl. Combine oils and add, a few drops at a time, to yolk mixture, whisking constantly, until all oil is incorporated and mixture is emulsified. (If mixture separates, stop adding oil and continue whisking until mixture comes together, then resume adding oil.)
Whisk in garlic paste and season with salt and pepper. If aïoli is too thick, whisk in 1 or 2 drops of water. Chill, covered, until ready to use.

Cooks' notes:
• The egg yolk in this recipe is not cooked, which may be of concern if there is a problem with salmonella in your area.
• Aïoli can be chilled up to 2 days.
-----

Green Olive Tapenade - Gourmet | September 2002

You can buy jars of tapenade at some specialty markets, but Jody Adams prefers the taste of homemade.
Active time: 20 min Start to finish: 20 min Makes about 1 cup.

1 cup brine-cured green olives such as Cerignola or picholine, pitted
3 canned flat anchovies
1 tablespoon drained bottled capers
1/2 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Pulse all ingredients in a food processor until finely chopped.
Cooks' note:
• Tapenade keeps, covered and chilled, 1 week.

------

and then again, maybe I'm getting a little critical as I'm getting older...plus the lobster guy didn't come thru so I'm sure was the biggest disappointment.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Monkfish & Clam "Bourride" by cjs (Been a long time sin...)
God that sounds good!! I like your short cuts too!!! Would you be my sous chef?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Monkfish & Clam "Bourride" by Old Bay (God that sounds good...)
In a New York minute, sir!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monkfish & Clam "Bourride" by cjs (In a New York minute...)
Don't sell yourself short...go for the top and be your own Executive Chef and let mere mortals like me beg to be your Sous! Wow, that does look like fun however. Don't think "Monkfish" is readily available around here though...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Monkfish & Clam "Bourride" by cjs (In a New York minute...)
By the way, I'll be your assistant anytime--just call--Jane (and I) would like to watch you work. It is a pleasure being associated with you. Be well, Bill & Jane
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".