OT EarthHour
  Re: (...)
It's tomorrow night, and the talk of the town here. Just wondering if anyone else is participating. Here's the link:

http://www12.earthhourus.org/

Eight pm is pretty close to my bedtime anyway.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: OT EarthHour by Lorraine (It's tomorrow night,...)
We're on board. William said he's flipping the main switch at 8 pm tomorrow. I've got a question though, is it to be a rolling thing or everyone all at one time?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT EarthHour by Gourmet_Mom (We're on board. Wil...)
Everyone here in Toronto is doing it between 8 and 9pm, but they did say do it when you can. Re-reading your question, I'm not sure. I thought everyone did it at the same time, but now I don't know. Sure is a great concept though. Glad to see you're on board!!!!
  Re: Re: OT EarthHour by Lorraine (Everyone here in Tor...)
I went back and reread the info...it's rolling. It says do it your local time. I wish I had known and could have posted it around the lake. It would be so cool to see the lake go black...on purpose, not due to a storm, that is...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT EarthHour by Gourmet_Mom (I went back and rere...)
We practiced this yesterday afternoon...not quite the same but it is a great idea and the message behind it is wonderful.

I must honestly say I never put much thought into the environment until I moved to Iowa and was exposed to the "farce" that is ETHANOL and Kambree came into this world. I promise NOT to go all environMENTAL here so I'll move on....
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: OT EarthHour by firechef (We practiced this ye...)
sure hope breakers aren't popped all over the world as the light go back on at the same time....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT EarthHour by cjs (sure hope breakers a...)
Yeah. Gotta watch out, or all of our friends who are still getting snow will get hit harder as the lack of lights contributes to the global cooling they are already experiencing.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: OT EarthHour by labradors (Yeah. Gotta watch o...)
Global Cooling??? That makes sense when you think about it...if all of this ice breaks off and enters the ocean it is not going to instantly become the same temperature of the ocean. It will do like ice in a glass and cool the surrounding waters...this will in turn cool the waters around that area and as it spreads out it will moderate the temperatures of the worlds oceans...thus COOLING the earth and counter balancing Global Warming at least for a little while...it is not so much the Global Warming as it is the build up in Greenhouse Gases changing the overall atmosphere to be more like that of Venus that is the problem...the cooler waters will lead to a decrease in severe tropical storms and an increase in more powerful winters...the US Government has known this for years as have many other nations. Sure, it will get warmer and more severe for the short term but it will "fix itself" so to speak and as for the atmosphere, as the warming continues more plants are growing and contributing to oxygen development in the Arctic and may in the Antarctic as well some day. As the cool down from the ice melt happens the opposite of what is happening now will occur. Maybe as much as the 1600s through early 1800s "Mini-Ice Age" even.

The big thing will remain "Greenhouse Gases"...OKAY WHO LEFT THE SOAP BOX OUT??? You know I just can't resist those things...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: OT EarthHour by firechef (Global Cooling??? T...)
Geez, I only posted because I thought it's a great idea to save on energy wherever we can. Didn't mean to start any environmental, or any other debates.
  Re: Re: OT EarthHour by Lorraine (Geez, I only posted ...)
It is a wonderful idea Lorraine...I wasn't "debating" I was just passing on what I learned about atmospheric studies in the US Air Force 15 years ago while learning to be a "Combat Weather Forecaster." That is the theory that most of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization is "teaching" and believing. It seems scientifically sound...I doubt anyone else around here will take part in the lights out stuff so I am passing on this information to help show why we are doing it...most power production results in the production of "Greenhouse Gases" so lets do our part to help...

FYI...I do have battery power for my laptop so I will be checking to make sure everyone is powering down their computers as well as we head into evening...