2 forums comments...
  Re: (...)
I ran a very large and very popular scuba diving forum for about 5 years, so I am speaking from a bit of experience in these matters... and I would like to offer two suggestions.

(1) I never really cared for user "titles" but I have to say that calling a new user a "stranger" is kinda crappy. "Newbie" works, "Forum Neophyte" too, but continuing to refer to a user as a Stranger doesn't really do anything to build community with new users. Just sayin.

(2) A greater degree of organization would probably be helpful Having one large catch-all forum is a bit odd, plus it means a lot of stuff, like this post, gets lumped in with other stuff in a place where is doesn't really belong.

If any mods or admins are out there who might like to talk to a person with some experience in this matter, I would be willing to offer my services...
  Re: 2 forums comments... by jeffdubya (I ran a very large a...)
Hey Jeff

1.) Post more - new title hehe But I agree with Stranger, never did care for that particular title. But I think it goes away after 25 posts. Then you become a newbie.

2. ) I used to think the same thing. I ran several large bb's back in the day (up to about a year ago actually) and found that once you break them out, some don't get the exposure others do.

For example Billys health. If no one goes to a How are We Doing section no one would know. Or if we had an Italian section to post about Pasta, not all would look at it.

People don't like to click too many times to find what they need. They'd rather come to one spot scroll around a bit or just post a question no matter what the topic and get answers faster.

That seems to be the general concenus.
  Re: Re: 2 forums comments... by DFen911 (Hey Jeff[br][br]1.) ...)
I agree with Cis. Most forums I've participated in have a rather undesirable name for newcomers. I generally don't pay much attention to the titles anyway, so am therefore surprised when someone mentions mine has changed. I just keep yakking away
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: 2 forums comments... by jeffdubya (I ran a very large a...)
Quote:

I ran a very large and very popular scuba diving forum for about 5 years, so I am speaking from a bit of experience in these matters... and I would like to offer two suggestions.

(1) I never really cared for user "titles" but I have to say that calling a new user a "stranger" is kinda crappy. "Newbie" works, "Forum Neophyte" too, but continuing to refer to a user as a Stranger doesn't really do anything to build community with new users. Just sayin.

(2) A greater degree of organization would probably be helpful Having one large catch-all forum is a bit odd, plus it means a lot of stuff, like this post, gets lumped in with other stuff in a place where is doesn't really belong.

If any mods or admins are out there who might like to talk to a person with some experience in this matter, I would be willing to offer my services...

Did you notice? I still don't exist. The phantom. Not that I'm sensitive--just a thorn--helllloooo Brian--is anyone there?--I was even censored once--o my -- I've been noticed, but not Knighted.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: 2 forums comments... by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
STALKER!

Re: Re: 2 forums comments... by DFen911 (STALKER![br][br][img...)
I agree with your first point. Stranger isn't very welcoming.

From the forum's FAQs...

What are these Titles about?
Everyone has a title within the forum. You will notice them below the Username in each post. Some titles are automatically assigned based on the number of posts a user has made, and some titles are assigned by the forum owner to denote official representatives of the company or other VIPs in the forums.

So, Bill with no title, you must be a super secret VIP!

On your second point, I think I like the listings just as they are and don't think I'd be as apt to browse through sub folders.

My only other pseudo complaint is that I think the search functionality is clunky.
  Re: Re: 2 forums comments... by HomeCulinarian (I agree with your fi...)
I think I should spam the board 27 more times to see what mine changes to
  Re: Re: 2 forums comments... by DFen911 (I think I should spa...)
Hey Bill - I still don't have a title either! Roxanne whined until they gave her one, Cis still doesn't have one either - but she self appointed.

Us "original" members just get ignored. I think most of us originals missed out on the members plus too!

I agree with having only one board. Where I understand the organization - I just wouldn't go lookin around too much. I prefer to pick and choose from the Big List.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: 2 forums comments... by esgunn (Hey Bill - I still d...)
I looked through the forum members sorted by registration date and FanFarm has the earliest registration date of the people still active. So you really deserve your honorific title ... what was it again?

Most of the people who register never post. Do ya think it has anything to do with being labeled a "stranger"?
  Re: Re: 2 forums comments... by DFen911 (STALKER![br][br][img...)
Quote:

STALKER!
I like it.

"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".