leftover lamb?
  Re: (...)
Hi friends,
We had a lovely roast lamb leg and I have about 1/2 left over. Any ideas for something yummy to make out of it? It's a pound or less that's left,unsliced, rare in the center. I can't think of what to do with it.
I eagerly await your suggestions.
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: leftover lamb? by farnfam (Hi friends,[br]We ha...)
On the back page of issue 32 they had a "gyro" tostada to use the leftover lamb they had in the issue. It looks good - sort of an open faced gyro on pita/flat bread. (I only know this because I keep my mags in binders and I was looking in issue 31 for something! And I had just read your post on lamb leftovers.) I have not made it - I don't really like lamb very much. But it does look good.

Daphne, didn't you pick this as one of your meals you were going to make.

I don't have members plus or I would post it for you.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: leftover lamb? by farnfam (Hi friends,[br]We ha...)
Quote:

Hi friends,
We had a lovely roast lamb leg and I have about 1/2 left over. Any ideas for something yummy to make out of it? It's a pound or less that's left,unsliced, rare in the center. I can't think of what to do with it.
I eagerly await your suggestions.
Cis
Empress for Life

I've never liked reheated fish, lamb, venison--the flavors intensify too much for me. What about trimming the meat from the bone and reserve, and if the bone is small enough (or cut it), put it in some chicken stock and cook awhile. Remove the bones and make an Irish stew--potatoes, carrots, celery, onions (caramalized)--cook until the vegis are al dente, then add the rare lamb and
simmer until tender. Who knows ?? Father O'Rielly might just give forgivness to the one that created it!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: leftover lamb? by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Grind it or cut it into cubes, and make a tagine.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: leftover lamb? by labradors (Grind it or cut it i...)
Good call Erin. I still haven't tried lamb yet, but this is how I plan to serve it.

Here you go. I think it would be very good with your leftovers. It was served with four 3 ounce lamb chops...two per plate.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Gyro Chopped Salad with Creamy Tzatsiki Dressing

Recipe By :Cuisine at Home
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 cup cucumber -- seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons feta cheese -- crumbled
1 tablespoon fresh oregano
1 clove garlic
1/2 lemon -- juiced
salt and pepper -- to taste
4 cups romaine lettuce -- chopped
1/4 cup red onion -- thinly sliced
1/4 cup feta cheese -- crumbled
10 cherry tomatoes -- or grape tomatoes
8 kalamata olives -- pitted
4 pepperoncini peppers -- chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil -- divided
2 whole wheat pita bread -- (6 1/2 inch)
Greek Lamb Chops

Drain yogurt by spooning it into several layers of paper towels inside a bowl. Gently press to compact and set aside for 20-30 minutes.

Meanwhile, process cucumber, 2 T. feta, oregano, garlic, and lemon juice until cucumber is minced. Add drained yogurt (about 1/2 cup) and pulse to combine. Season tzatziki with salt and pepper, and set aside.

Toss romaine, onion, 1/4 cup feta, tomatoes, olives, and pepperoncini in a large bowl with about 1/3 cup tzatziki.

Heat 1 T. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium. Add pita, toast for 2 minutes, then flip over and toast the other side, season with salt and paprika. Toast remaining oil and pita in the same manner. To serve, place pitas on plates, then top with salad and lamb.

Source:
"Cuisine for Two p. 53"
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: leftover lamb? by Gourmet_Mom (Good call Erin. I s...)
Traditional Gyros in pitas...why go all "fancy" when the original has been around forever and is wonderful if done right, said the odd little Greek boy in the forums...hehehe
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: leftover lamb? by firechef (Traditional Gyros in...)
The last lamb I had leftover, I made hash a la Judith Jone's Tenth Muse, page 228 and it was wonderful!! I subbed half a poblano for the bell pepper, and add basil, thyme and garlic. Cornflakes for topping. Hope you kept the jus - that makes it even better.

I have l/o lamb in the frig from last night, maybe those gyros are in our future...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: leftover lamb? by firechef (Traditional Gyros in...)
LJ,
My hubby is Greek too! I agree, gyros are awesome. No need to mess around with "imitators". lol
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Re: leftover lamb? by mlucas1 (LJ, [br]My hubby is ...)
Where ya been, Meg??? Nice to see you again!!!

I have a wonderful leftover recipe but you must have some of those juices left over for the hazelnut sauce....I'll try and track it down--BUT I'm sure it's too late now----

Next time!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: leftover lamb? by Roxanne 21 (Where ya been, Meg??...)
I have this handy-dandy little book on leftovers and just found an idea for l/o lamb pizza!! sounds good - that's what we'll be havin' with ours.

Keep looking Roxanne, I'd like to see the hazelnut sauce.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com