Assembling a Reuben?
  Re: (...)
OK, hubby loves to eat them, but this is the first time I've ever made corned beef, sooooo.... How's this thing put together. I know it's corned beef, russian dressing, swiss cheese, and saurkraut...spicy mustard? What goes where and do you rinse and drain the 'kraut before using (I'm guessing yes) and do you toast the rye before or after assembling? (I'm thinking a pressed sammie after assembly?) Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Assembling a Reuben? by Gourmet_Mom (OK, hubby loves to e...)
When my mom makes them, she drains the sauerkraut, but does not rinse it. Spicy mustard on one side, meat, kraut and then cheese and Russian dressing on the other side. Then she grills them. You could also broil them or make them like a grilled cheese - brown in a pan. And Rye bread.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Assembling a Reuben? by esgunn (When my mom makes th...)
Thanks Erin! He was so excited when I called him earlier! He had forgotten what we were having. He fell asleep before the corned beef smelled up the house last night....LOL! I bought another one today....they were on sale. YS tested the beef last night before I put it up and said..."What leftovers for sandwiches?" HMMMM?
Daphne
  Re: Assembling a Reuben? by Gourmet_Mom (OK, hubby loves to e...)
We do ours on toasted rye - bread, horseradish, corned beef, swiss cheese, rinsed and well drained kraut (more swiss?), dressing (Russian or Thousand), bread. I also like them grilled or pressed. I used to eat lunch frequently at a great little Jewish deli near where I worked in Seattle. I think it's gone now - but oh my how I loved their Reuben's!! They were always served with intensely crispy brined dill pickles. Heaven on a plate. I think I rotated between that and a crab salad on nut bread from the lunch counter in Frederick and Nelson. Aaaaaah - memories!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Assembling a Reuben? by esgunn (When my mom makes th...)
Or, if you have a panini press, use that! (A waffle iron works).

A story here, if you don't mind

One day I was prepping for lunch in the Oak Room (faculty dining). My Panini special was Reubens. I always prepped one for display. I saw some firemen come up the stairs outside my door, and continue onto the next floor. Curious, so I stuck my head out the door and asked if something was going on that I should know about. A (very handsome) firefighter told me he had a call from the offices upstairs for a gas smell. Right away I asked them to come inside my dining room. Yup, my Reubens.

Hope you enjoy!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Assembling a Reuben? by pjcooks (Or, if you have a pa...)
GEEZ!! Thanks for the reminder Sharon! I forgot the horseradish!

PJ, I think I'm gonna use the ol' brick method. No paninni or waffle iron...LOL!
Daphne
Oooops, that's funny PJ!

I do mine like Erin and we just love the heck outta 'em!!
I don't rinse my saurkraut ever - do a lot of you guys??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Assembling a Reuben? by cjs (Oooops, that's funny...)
Quote:

Oooops, that's funny PJ!

I do mine like Erin and we just love the heck outta 'em!!
I don't rinse my saurkraut ever - do a lot of you guys??

I never rinse the kraut and use only the Russian dressing--no mustard. We had Sunday brunch at Katz in Houston yesterday and I bought 6 pickles and took 3 more home--of couse I had a Rueben and some of their slaw (and a bottle of Shiner Bock).
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Assembling a Reuben? by Harborwitch (We do ours on toaste...)
we always toasted the rye too. then did it open faced on a flat top with bread, thousand island, swiss and beef on one piece and bread, thousand island, swiss and kraut (drained) on the other and then fold together. has anyone beside me ever heard of "ruben's brother" it's rye, munster, pastrami, kraut and thousand island. really good on some of the multigrain breads.
Quote:

Or, if you have a panini press, use that! (A waffle iron works).

A reuben Pannini?! Oh gosh that would be amazing! Great idea!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura