Forum Question
  Re: (...)
Is it just me, or is the search function for the forums broken? Every time I try to use it, my searches are rejected. I'm really excited to find this forum, but really bummed August Home Publishing is using antiquated software by UBB to make it go... there's so many inexpensive and amazing programs out there!
  Re: Forum Question by jeffdubya (Is it just me, or is...)
There are two problems that new users typically encounter with the search. First, as on most forum-based sites, repeated searching is limited by a time delay, so you must wait a minute or so before you may execute a new search. Without this delay, it is possible for hackers to use automated programs to make a site almost completely unusable - they just fire off a whole bunch of searches in rapid succession. Having a delay keeps this from being possible.

The second problem with THIS forum software, in particular, is that it puts a default value of "Newer than 1 week" as the date range. That means that, unless you clear out the "1" and the "week(s)" boxes, your search will completely miss older messages. I always clear them out, and I never have any problems with searching.

Good luck, Jeff, and welcome!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Forum Question by labradors (There are two proble...)
Also, don't use common terms in your search or you will catch Everything. Like for searching for corned beef - I would search on "Corned" only. You will get a much better result that way.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Forum Question by esgunn (Also, don't use comm...)
Erin you are so right... I have trapped myself doing the same thing. I keep forgetting.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Forum Question by esgunn (Also, don't use comm...)
Quote:

Also, don't use common terms in your search or you will catch Everything. Like for searching for corned beef - I would search on "Corned" only. You will get a much better result that way.

Even better: put the whole thing in quotation marks:

"corned beef"

and search that way.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Forum Question by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
You know, I've never tried that and have heard it before...DUH!!!

Although, I must say, I have pretty good luck with key words. Unfortunately, there's not always a good key word. I'll try that next time labs! Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Forum Question by Gourmet_Mom (You know, I've never...)
I don't have any problems as long as I always use quotation marks.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com