corned beef
  Re: (...)
hi there,
i'm looking for a recipe from cuisine's april 1999 magazine for corned beef. any help would be appreciated.
thanks
veronica
  Re: corned beef by garyandveronica (hi there,[br]i'm loo...)
Here you go - do you want the whole dinner??

Corned Beef Dinner
(Cuisine, April 1999, Issue 14, p. 27)

Makes: 6 Servings Total Time: 3 Hours 15 Minutes Rating: Easy

For the Corned Beef—
Rub a 4-lb. Corned Beef with:
2 T. brown sugar, packed
1 t. dry mustard
1/2 t. freshly ground pepper
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/8 t. cayenne pepper

Braise; Brush with Glaze.

For the Glaze—
Whisk Together:
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 T. soy sauce
1 T. Dijon mustard
1/2 t. cayenne pepper
1/2 t. dry mustard
1/2 t. ground ginger

Related Recipes:
Corned Beef Glaze
Roasted Root Vegetables
Horseradish Sauce
Cabbage Rolls

Preheat oven to 350°. (See bottom left picture for pre-braising instructions)

Rub corned beef and massage over both sides. Pour 2 cups cold water into the pan (don’t pour it over beef or rub will wash off). Cover tightly with foil.

Braise in oven 1 hour. After 1 hour, remove brisket from pan and discard liquid. Return meat to pan, add 2 cups fresh water, and cover. Braise another hour. After second hour, drain and replace water as done previuosly. Cover and braise a third hour.

Whisk together glaze ingredients, in small bowl. Remove beef from oven; raise heat to 450°. Pour off liquid; brush on glaze. Return to oven, uncovered, 15 min. Let rest 10 min. Before slicing, find which way the grain of meat runs—you’ll be cutting against the grain. Hold beef steady with a carving fork. Then, using a sharp slicing knife, thinly slice beef against grain. Thinner slices will be more tender. Slicing at an angle (“on the bias”) makes the pieces wider than if you sliced straight down. Bias-cut meat makes for a nicer presentation.

Nutrition Information (Per serving):
329 calories 62% calories from fat 23g total fat 8g carb. 2079mg sodium

------
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: corned beef by cjs (Here you go - do you...)
Gary and Veronica,

Welcome to the forum. We hope you will hang around after this recipe, and enjoy sharing with the rest of the members here.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: corned beef by labradors (Gary and Veronica,[b...)
well duh, welcome to you both!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: corned beef by cjs (Here you go - do you...)
thanks- you're a life (or dinner) saver -- my sweetie remembered most of it but like almost all inspired cooks, he never measures everything does according to his mood. it might always turn out great but sometimes a gal likes a little consistancy
  Re: Re: corned beef by garyandveronica (thanks- you're a lif...)
Quote:

thanks- you're a life (or dinner) saver -- my sweetie remembered most of it but like almost all inspired cooks, he never measures everything does according to his mood. it might always turn out great but sometimes a gal likes a little consistancy

"Consistancy"-- we fool around with a recipe several times, then, my son says "don't mess with it anymore" --and we don't-- chili, chicken salad, baby backs, brisket, cucumber chicken, etc--consistancy finally takes control. Welcome to the club!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: corned beef by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"consistancy finally takes control." - except that when a dish is consistant, it gets boring and I have to move on to another recipe....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: corned beef by cjs ("consistancy finally...)
Thinking about it--when we "perfect" a dish most of the time we don't eat it as much. Hmmmmmm.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: corned beef by Old Bay (Thinking about it--w...)
That's funny, Bill!!!

Bringing this to the top for anyone who needs it. I'll also post a link in the St. Patrick's thread....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: corned beef by cjs (That's funny, Bill!!...)
Thanks Jean. I'm not sure how that recipe compares to the one I was thinking of using, but it sure sounds good, so think I'll try it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."