Potato Casserole
  Re: (...)
I was telling Jean about this one and promised to post it. It's from Gourmet's January Special Edition "Southern Cooking", and I tell you , it is a great one. I have found their January editions, over the years, to be real keepers.

2 lbs boiling pototoes
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
Preheat oven to 425 with rack in middle
Peel potatoes and thinly slice, about 1/16 in thick (as if!!) then toss with butter. 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper
Spread evenly in a 2 qt shallow baking dish and add broth. cover tightly with tin foil, and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is well browned and most of stock is absorbed. 30 - 35 minutes more.

I have been doing this with one baked potato for the two of us, just reduce the rest accordingly. They are incredibly good. My oven is usually "the oven from hell". but tonight decided it didn't want to ge tup to temp. I put it on the bottom level, and turned on broil. That did it!!! Hope you enjoy them!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Potato Casserole by Lorraine (I was telling Jean a...)
printed and will try tomorrow night, I'm sure! thanks Lorraine.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Potato Casserole by cjs (printed and will try...)
Yummy Lorraine! Copied and saved! What do you think it would be like with VERY thinly sliced onion added?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Potato Casserole by Gourmet_Mom (Yummy Lorraine! Copi...)
delicious.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Potato Casserole by Lorraine (I was telling Jean a...)
Quote:

...thinly slice, about 1/16 in thick (as if!!)

Mandoline.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Potato Casserole by Gourmet_Mom (Yummy Lorraine! Copi...)
Quote:

Yummy Lorraine! Copied and saved! What do you think it would be like with VERY thinly sliced onion added?

We've done that with a mandoline--both the potato and onion same thickness--we salt and pepper each 2nd layer and put on butter--then bake --absolutely wonderful!! Lorraine, yours sounds so good I'm sorry I was tempted to mess with it!! Will try it -----really sounds good--(it's really a compliment--people mess with my recipes all the time--I don't mind).
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Potato Casserole by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
To be honest, I've done this for years. My daddy catered and would do steak dinners from time to time. He mostly did BBQ chicken and pork with all the fixings. But when he did steaks he would make a packet of VERY thinly sliced potatoes and onions wrapped in foil (individual servings). He would top each packet off with butter, salt and pepper. The packet was served with a thick slab of beef cooked MR and a simple salad with choice of dressing. It was always a hit! The substitution of stock would be a nice change and much more healthy! Thanks Lorraine!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Potato Casserole by Gourmet_Mom (To be honest, I've d...)
My son was an Eagle scout--I was with him all the way--on camping trips our first meal was a "silver turtle"--alum foil filled with ground meat,potatoes, onions, garlic, bell peppers, tomato, salt and pepper--formed into a ball and covered with coals from the campfire. Cook for an hour or less-- Not bad --especially if you were cold, hungry, and tired from paddeling.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Potato Casserole by Old Bay (My son was an Eagle ...)
That dish reminds of Pommes Anna and Pommes Dauphinoise (with cream).

We did do variations and finely chopped shallots or minced garlic between the layers.

You could do bell peppers, mushrooms even olives. OoOoo my taste buds are singing now.
  Re: Re: Potato Casserole by DFen911 (That dish reminds of...)
That is pretty standard fare for me, what with the camping every weekend during the summer. Even now I will throw a couple of foil packets into the wood stove for a weekend dinner. Actually, for those of you who do these with the foil, use the non-stick stuff. That works WONDERFUL. You still get the crunchy bits of potato (my favorite part) and everything just slides off onto your plate.