Freeze before or after?
  Re: (...)
I'm doing the Molto Manicotti and it serves 12. I considered halving the recipe, but changed my mind. I didn't consider that half the "meat" in this recipe is the mushrooms, so to speak. Would you bake it first (seperate pans or not?) or pan it seperate and freeze before baking? I'm especially wondering about the Bechamel and freezing before baking.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Freeze before or after? by Gourmet_Mom (I'm doing the Molto ...)
I have frozen manicotti once stuffed but NOT sauced in the past. Once cooked it could turn into a real mess while thawing and reheating...just my two cents on the subject.

Maybe halve the sauce and make more the next time you make it?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Freeze before or after? by firechef (I have frozen manico...)
You know, I thought of that a minute ago. It makes much more sense. I worried about the "mushy mess" also. If it was tomato, I'd be more likely to try, but not this. Bechamel is so easy, it would not be a biggie for an easy weeknight meal. I think I'm gonna flash freeze half the manicotti and seal.

Thanks!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Freeze before or after? by Gourmet_Mom (You know, I thought ...)
Good call...I hope. Am I liable if this does not work out?

Never thought of that before? What if we give online advice and it isn't right? Or if someone gets sick eating one of your recipes? Am I being panicy here?

Just kidding...I know you'd just send me a big old "smack" and life would go on. Right?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
But if you ask Jean, she freezes Bechamel all the time. She said it really freezes well. I have made this recipe several times and in my opinion I would freeze it before cooking, with sauce.

But if you have reservations, just freeze without the sauce. I would bet money that it would be just fine.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Freeze before or after? by firechef (Good call...I hope. ...)
YUP! LOL!

Actually, I had already decided this might be the best call, too. It was the Bechamel I was worried most about. Baking and freezing melted cheese was adding to the "mess", so was also discarded. I just didn't trust my judgement.

Now watch me be planning for nothing. I'm picturing two possibly disasterous scenarios here....1)They're gonna love it and I'll wish I'd made it all. (I doubt this, since Andrew "hates" mushrooms. I'm hoping to fool him this time with all the cheese.) But if they eat it all I'll not have lunch tomorrow. 2) They'll hate it and not want it again, so freezing will be a moot point anyhow...LOL! (We've never tried shitakes before.)

This brings up another question. What do I do with the 1/2 cup or less of reconstituted shitakes? I DO want to save the liquid don't I? I'm thinking a mushroom soup next week would be good. I've been wanting to try that anyhow.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Freeze before or after? by Gourmet_Mom (YUP! LOL![br][br]Ac...)
Ah you are answering your own questions again "Daphneson" you learn quick.

BTW-my Canadian "Sister" is touched you think of her and worry about her...dang workaholic...
  Re: Re: Freeze before or after? by Gourmet_Mom (YUP! LOL![br][br]Ac...)
OOPS! We were posting at the same time. I was hoping you would come along since I knew you had made it several times. HMMMM? I may make the Bechamel and have it ready to freeze seperately. That way, if they like it, I'll have back up. It wouldn't take long to bake up a second batch. Although, the thoughts of the three of us eating that much is SCARY! Wouldn't be the first time though...LOL!

BTW, Laura, I don't have the magazine with the picture of rolling. Do you spread the mixture, leaving an edge or put the mixture on one end and roll?

If you guys only knew. I'm taking a GREAT leap with this recipe...dried shitakes....and semolina dough. The dough was AWEFULLY crumbly when I kneaded it. I'm going now to make the pasta sheets. Cross your fingers! At least I have enough time to make a regular pasta dough! I am determined to eat in the light of day today!!!!!!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Freeze before or after? by Gourmet_Mom (OOPS! We were posti...)
Put the mixture on the end and roll. The Barilla no-boil sheets of lasagna is what is in the recipe, although you do boil them to soften. The sheets are roughly 5" wide by 8" long if you are making them yourself. Homemade would work really well for these I think. Put the filling along the short end and roll up. Plenty of overlap.

Freezing bechamel separately would be just fine. If I made two batches I would probably make extra sauce. I like saucy stuff anyway.

Let us all know how it turns out. I wish my scanner worked, I'd send you a photo of the page. Bummer. But you will do just great.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Quote:

You know, I thought of that a minute ago. It makes much more sense. I worried about the "mushy mess" also. If it was tomato, I'd be more likely to try, but not this. Bechamel is so easy, it would not be a biggie for an easy weeknight meal. I think I'm gonna flash freeze half the manicotti and seal.

Thanks!

I agree!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".