Asian Grapefruit Sauce for Salmon
  Re: (...)
I did a search and guess I didn't post this after I combined the two - but, looking at my notes I can see why - Sorry they are not in better shape.

This is the 'working' copy of the combination of recipes, so play with it as I did. I haven't made it again, guess I'd better to cement it in my mind...

Asian Grapefruit Sauce

This is a combination of Old Bay's(Bill) and a recipe from LCBO magazine. See recipe for LCBO's Sesame Salmon and combine

1 large ruby red grapefruit
1 T. butter
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced, (about 4 oz. or 3/4 cup)
1 1/2 T. ginger root, minced
2 T. rice vinegar (ran out of unseasoned, so used 1 T. of each)
1 cup evaporated milk
1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 dash of Worcestershire sauce
1-2 shakes of Tabasco
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. butter, in three pieces

Cut two 3/4” slices from the center of the grapefruit and set aside.
Squeeze enough juice from the ends to measure 5 T. Set aside.

Melt the 1 T. butter in a medium skillet over medium heat; add the onion, ginger and garlic and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring often.

Add the vinegar and 4 T. of grapefruit juice; cook until the liquid is cooked down to almost dry, about 2 minutes.

Add the evaporated milk, Dijon, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco combining well; bring just to a boil, reduce the heat and let sauce simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often. Season with the salt & pepper.

Add the 3 pieces of butter, one at a time, swirling to incorporate into the sauce. Keep warm while you cook the salmon. (Covering will probably help a ‘skin’ not to develop)

There is a discrepancy between the 4 and 5 T. of grapefruit juice – I’m guessing Bill’s called for 5 and I used 4? No biggie I don’t think, use either.

-----

Well, I've edited three time so far, hope this is o.k. to use now. Note to Jean - do a better job writing up recipes the morning after making a recipe.... )

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

darn, I knew I'd type this up somewhere - this is what I sent to Bill and a couple others the next a.m. - Maybe will clarify some things - or - may totally confuse. (so join my club )

"O.K., here's the latest chapter -

Asian Grapefruit Sauce for Salmon
Revision A

1 large ruby red grapefruit
1 T. butter
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced (4 oz. or 3/4 cup)
1 1/2 T. ginger root, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T. rice vinegar
1 cup evaporated skim milk
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. butter, in three pieces
1 dash of Worcestershire sauce
1-2 shakes of hot pepper sauce
(1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard)

Cut two 1 1/2- 2” (3/4” is a nice thickness) thick slices from the center of the grapefruit and set aside.
Squeeze enough juice from the ends to measure 4 T. Set this aside also.

Melt the 1 T. butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat; add the onion, ginger and garlic and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring often.

Add the vinegar and 4 T. of grapefruit juice; cook until the liquid is cooked down, 2 minutes, until almost dry. Add the evaporated milk, combine well; bring to a boil, reduce heat and let sauce simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper.

Over the simmering heat, add the 3 pieces of butter one at a time swirling to incorporate into the sauce. Then add the Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and the Dijon . Whisk together, taste for seasonings, and keep warm.

-------
Notes: the sauce still has a tad of graininess, barely noticeable, but there. I think I’ll make it two more times – once with heavy cream and once with 1/2 & 1/2 – and see the differences. If there is quite a difference in texture, will add a ‘variation’ note to use the evaporated milk for a healthier version.

The flavor, tho, is really very good – love all those flavors together. So, will do a little more work. Just to let you know who all I’m asking ideas and thoughts on this from, are Sharon (harborwitch), Bill (old bay) and ChefBartlett. Will be anxious to hear any and all comments if and when you can try this. Thanks all. "
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Asian Grapefruit Sauce for Salmon by cjs (I did a search and g...)
I didn't realize you had not posted this--did you change anything from the version "A" you sent me?--my printer is not working at the house. It really looks good.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Asian Grapefruit Sauce for Salmon by Old Bay (I didn't realize you...)
Oh my, I really didn't follow thru with this - I can't remember... maybe I saved the p.m. to you - I'll go look....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Asian Grapefruit Sauce for Salmon by cjs (Oh my, I really didn...)
I'm going to try with cream. I've noticed the graininess you mention with the evaporated milk before and I want this beautiful salmon to have the best. I'll let you know.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Asian Grapefruit Sauce for Salmon by Gourmet_Mom (I'm going to try wit...)
Shoot, I forgot to come back and tell Bill to look up. I was also going to try 1/2 & 1/2.
www.achefsjourney.com