Another variation on No-Knead Bread
  Re: (...)
I got this email from Breadtopia.com today and thought it was interesting enough to share here. Cooks Illustrated came up with another variation on this bread and they are calling it Almost No-Knead Bread. To watch the short videos go here:
www.breadtopia.com/cooks-illustrated-almost-no-knead
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Another variation on No-Knead Bread by Mare749 (I got this email fro...)
As long as you're talking about ALMOST-no-knead bread, and since it's so close to St. Patrick's Day, we should probably toss Irish Soda Bread into the discussion. YUM!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Another variation on No-Knead Bread by Mare749 (I got this email fro...)
Everybody's jumping on the bandwagon, eh? Perfect timing, Maryann - I'm making a loaf in the next couple of days, so will do this one for a change. thanks for posting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Another variation on No-Knead Bread by cjs (Everybody's jumping ...)
I just love the thick crust and rustic innards of the original, though.

I will plan a time to test the sourdough. I'm so bad about having fresh bread in the house. I ate 1/2 loaf at Longhorn yesterday afternoon and it wasn't 1/10th as good as the No-Knead.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Another variation on No-Knead Bread by Corinne (I just love the thic...)
Isn't that just amazing, Corinne? I feel the same way now when I eat out. It's hard to beat homemade bread!
Maryann

Re: Re: Another variation on No-Knead Bread by Mare749 (Isn't that just amaz...)
good idea, labs!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Another variation on No-Knead Bread by cjs (good idea, labs!!...)
Update = I have two batches of the bread talked about in the video going right now - will be ready ~9 or 10 a.m. I made the regular and the whole wheat. The dough REALLY smelled good last night when I mixed them up.

And they are looking good and bubbly this a.m.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Another variation on No-Knead Bread by cjs (Update = I have two ...)
Thanks Jean, I'm going to start mine right now to bake tomorrow. Good idea to make both.
Maryann

Re: Re: Another variation on No-Knead Bread by Mare749 (Thanks Jean, I'm goi...)
Maryann, mine are both out of the oven. I used his (or C.I.'s) indgredients, but I used the original method for rising and baking. They both turned out great - the flavor is wonderful.

But, next time, I guess I won't do the preheating of the skillet and let the rise take place in it and do his temperatures. If you do it his way, let me know how you liked it. I just didn't read the instructions (such as they were) closely enough and I already had the dough rising in the same bowl...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Another variation on No-Knead Bread by cjs (Maryann, mine are bo...)
Oh, I'm doing the same thing, Jean. Used his ingredients, but the regular old method that I'm used to using. Guess I've gotten spoiled with not having to fool with it much.
Maryann