Happy Leap Day & Sadie Hawkins Day!!
  Re: (...)
Do they still have Sadie Hawkins dances at high schools??? What fun those were.

What's everyone doing for dinner or did you ask someone out??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Happy Leap Day & Sadie Hawkins Day!! by cjs (Do they still have S...)
They had Sadie Hawkins Dances when I was in High School. I will have to ask my high school senior if there is a Sadie Hawkins celebration or if it has been Policially Corrected out of the schools for some reason.

No dinner plans yet. I'll have to get on that. Maybe I'll find something when I look through my recipes???
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Happy Leap Day & Sadie Hawkins Day!! by luvnit (They had Sadie Hawki...)
We had them in HS, too. We'd all dress up like that cartoon that I can't remember - the Yocums? I guess nowadays they'd refer to it as the Clampetts.

Gosh those were fun times.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Happy Leap Day & Sadie Hawkins Day!! by Corinne (We had them in HS, t...)
Andy Capp - I forgot that part. We dressed up hillbilly also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Happy Leap Day & Sadie Hawkins Day!! by cjs (Andy Capp - I forgot...)
What is a "Sadie Hawkins Day"...is it another of those obscure European Holidays?

BTW-Andy Capp isn't a hillbilly he is a disgruntled lazy out of work British gent that was in a way a base for the now famous Homer Simpson...just want ol' Andy to be known for what he is. I'd refer you to Denise's post about men for a better description of him.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Happy Leap Day & Sadie Hawkins Day!! by cjs (Do they still have S...)
Local schools have Vice Versa dances here - same concept, no costumes.

Today is UnOFfIcial St. Patrick's Day on our campus. An excuse for students wear green and drink all day long. Since my office overlooks the heart of campus town, it's quite a site. And, rather controversial as the Chancellor is trying to shut it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-cTxNuhC...re=related
  Re: Re: Happy Leap Day & Sadie Hawkins Day!! by HomeCulinarian (Local schools have V...)
Isn't Saint Patrick's Day still a couple of weeks and a few days beyond that still? I hope you are not at a "public university?" You know what they keep saying about those public schools these days...intro to calender reading a spring semester class?

If they are having an "Unofficial Saint Patrick's Day" today what do they do the 17th of March? Or does that fall during "Spring Break" this year?

I must be real dumb today because I am having trouble with "Sadie Hawkins Day" and Vice Versa Dances? What is the concept here???
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Happy Leap Day & Sadie Hawkins Day!! by firechef (Isn't Saint Patrick'...)
Quote:

I hope you are not at a "public university?" You know what they keep saying about those public schools these days...intro to calender reading a spring semester class?

Ouch! Don't think we offer those classes here.

St. Patrick's day (March 17) usually falls during spring break so a few years back one of the local bar owners had the bright idea of having specials for an unofficial St. Patrick's day. The idea has grown and now we have college age kids from all over the country come to campus for the weekend. It is all about drinking 'til ya puke. Tribune Story about Unofficial

Vice-Versa, Sadie Hawkins, etc., are dances where the girls ask the boys for the date. In these times, I believe that the gender roles have changed so that it's not a big deal any more.
  Re: Re: Happy Leap Day & Sadie Hawkins Day!! by HomeCulinarian ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Wasn't trying to insult the University...leave it to a bar owner to try to make a few bucks off of kids that don't always have the maturity to say no to the drinking. I am sure it pumps a bunch of extra cash into the local economy but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

As for the dances...sounds a bit '50s-ish to me. I went to several dances in middle school and high school and even took my best friend at the time to her senior prom. The only time I danced was at the prom. For the most part I went to the dances with a group of guys and we stood on one side of the gym while the girls were on the other. Sometimes the girls would dance amongst themselves while us guys stood around looking dumb...somethings never change.
  Re: Re: Happy Leap Day & Sadie Hawkins Day!! by firechef (Wasn't trying to ins...)
I know who Andy Capp was - there was a character called Sadie Hawkins who was UGLY - the only way she could get a date was to ask a man herself. Sadie Hawkins Day came out of that. It did start in the 50s, but it was still around when my kids were in school - the 70s.

The closest we could get to downtrodden English clothes was to go hillbilly.
www.achefsjourney.com