Fresh Garlic Sausage
  Re: (...)
Finally delving into Ruhlman & Polcyn's "Charcuterie" book and this is the first one I made.

Take note Roxanne, another winner! I just made half.

Master Recipe: Fresh Garlic Sausage

5 lbs. boneless fatty pork shoulder butt, diced
1 1/2 oz. (about 3 T.) kosher salt
1 T. ground black pepper
3 T. minced garlic
1 cup good red wine, chilled
----
10 feet hog casigs, soaked in tepid water for at least 30 min. and rinsed (I left mine as bulk this time)

Toss the meat, salt, pepper and garlic together in a large bowl until evenly mixed.
Cover and refrigerate until the mixture is thoroughly chilled, at least 2, and up to 24 hours.
Alternatively, place in freezer for 30 min. to an hour, until the meat is very cold, even stiff, but not frozen.
(Note: I did the freezer method for one hour and it was beginning to freeze. I love this method so much better than adding ice to the grinding!)

Grind the mixture thru the small die into a bowl set in ice.

Using the paddle attachment of a standing mixer (or a strong wooden spoon if mixing by hand), mix on low speed (or stir) for 1 minute. Add the wine, increase the mixing speed to medium, and mix (or stir) for 1 more minute, or until the liquid is incorporated and the meat looks sticky.

Test a piece for seasoning.

From ~5 1/2 lb. bone in shoulder roast, I got (6) 8-oz. pkgs. and (1) 5 1/2 oz. pkgs. of sausage AND 3 qts. of pork stock. So, a good days work. The seasonings were right on for this sausage. (it's a good sign when the first recipe in a book I try is a winner!)

I'm thinking mini-meat balls in some marinara over polenta, spaghetti, or maybe fried eggplant.....hmmmm.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Fresh Garlic Sausage by cjs (Finally delving into...)
Sounds great. Copied to try. I have heard of the book and is the "Polcyn" mentioned the same one I know of from elsewhere on the web?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Fresh Garlic Sausage by firechef (Sounds great. Copie...)
no - this is Brian Polcyn.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fresh Garlic Sausage by cjs (no - this is Brian P...)
Had to ask...the book was the topic of a lot of chatter on another forum.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Fresh Garlic Sausage by firechef (Sounds great. Copie...)
Quote:

Sounds great. Copied to try. I have heard of the book and is the "Polcyn" mentioned the same one I know of from elsewhere on the web?

Brian Polcyn is related to Reggie. Cousins I believe Reggie told me.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Fresh Garlic Sausage by cjs (Finally delving into...)
This is probably a dumb question so sorry if it is, but how do you get 3 quarts of pork stock from this recipe?
"There is no love sincerer than the love of food".
  Re: Re: Fresh Garlic Sausage by maggiemoo (This is probably a d...)
Sorry Maggie!! That was a by product - I had a bone in shoulder and the recipe called for boneless and I didn't want to waste the beautiful bone. That's all.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fresh Garlic Sausage by cjs (Sorry Maggie!! That ...)
I loved making sausage in school

But at home I don't have a (Jean is so gonna go WHAT??)grinder and I would need a sausage stuffer.

I want to make my own chorizo.
  Re: Re: Fresh Garlic Sausage by DFen911 (I loved making sausa...)
C'mon get an attachment for your mixer and just make bulk if you want - let's do some chorizo, have a couple of great recipes for it.

Or go to Salvation Army and get the wonderful old crank grinder - I used one up to about 4 years ago. Cheap!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fresh Garlic Sausage by cjs (C'mon get an attachm...)
Thanks for the heads up on the recipe, Jean. I ordered the book a few weeks ago, but had it mailed (free shipping, you know) to Virginia.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.