Substitutes for Fontina
  Re: (...)
I was on another forum trying to find out a substitute for Fontina cheese. This was one of the answers that was given:

Quote:

There is no substitute for fontina cheese. It melts into a cream, is fairly acid, and imparts a delicate flavour to what you are cooking. If I had to substitute fontina, I wouldn't do it with just another cheese - and parmesan is far too dry - I would mix some gruyere (grated) with some parmesan, some milk and a drop of vinegar, all to a thick paste, and then use it as if it were fontina

Our store does not carry fontina and I don't want to make the drive to get it if I don't have to. Is this stuff expensive??
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Substitutes for Fontina by luvnit (I was on another for...)
This is what Cook's Thesaurus had to say....

Quote:

fontina Pronunciation: fon-TEE-nuh Notes: This well-regarded cheese is mild but interesting, and it's a good melter. Substitutes: Gruyère OR Emmental OR Beaufort OR Edam OR Gouda OR Bel Paese OR Appenzell OR provolone OR rablochon

I used provolone when I made Sharon's pasta recipe that I made as a side for the Pork Marsala. It melted just fine. I guess you could use the advice you posted, but I don't know that I'd go to all the trouble myself. Let us know.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Substitutes for Fontina by Gourmet_Mom (This is what Cook's ...)
That answer you got from elsewhere is BS...Gruyere or Gouda or a smooth fresh provolone would be fine in a melted application.

For slices...any of the above.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Substitutes for Fontina by firechef (That answer you got ...)
I agree - provolone or muenster I'd go for.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com