Looking for a good and simple alfredo sauce
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have a really good yet simple and basic alfredo sauce recipe, please? Thanks!
  Re: Looking for a good and simple alfredo sauce by carolekv (Does anyone have a r...)
Sure...here is what I use:

Alfredo Sauce

Ingredients

1 pint of Heavy Cream
1 stick of butter
2 Tbsp. Cream Cheese
1/2 - 3/4 C. Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. Garlic powder

Method

In a double boiler combine butter, heavy cream, and cream cheese. Simmer this until all is melted, and mixed well. Add the Parmesan cheese and Garlic powder. Simmer this for 15 - 20 minutes on low. You may wish to season with a little salt and pepper. Let it simmer and reduce. It can simmer for quite a while as long as you stir it and keep water in the bottom of the double boiler. I use the same recipe starting with 10 quarts of heavy cream in restaurants. I have had women offer to leave the husbands for this sauce...
This should make about 4 to 8 servings...this makes a thick sauce unlike the runny cans and jars you get in the store. It will stick to the ribs!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Looking for a good and simple alfredo sauce by firechef (Sure...here is what ...)
Mine is very similar to LJs except for the method - I did it this way when I was at the hotel to save time.

* Exported from MasterCook *

AL BURRO SAUCE FOR FETTUCCINI (or Alfredo Sauce)

8 oz. butter -- room temperature
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated (4 oz.)
2 lbs. Fettuccini, or pasta of your choice

With a mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy.
Add the cream gradually, mixing constantly until all the cream is incorporated.

Add the Parmesan and mix just until blended together; cover and reserve.

You can make the al burro sauce 2 -3 days ahead of using. Remove from refrigerator a couple hours ahead of mixing it with cooked pasta.

Cook 2 lbs. pasta in salted water until al dente; drain.
Turn the pasta out into a large heated bowl;
Add reserved butter/cheese mixture; toss until well coated.

Sprinkle with lots of freshly ground black pepper!! Serve immediately.
Makes 12 portions
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Looking for a good and simple alfredo sauce by cjs (Mine is very similar...)
LJ, thanks for the heads up on the double broiler. That really makes a lot of sense and relieves the stress of having everything come off together! Oddly enough, I've never made "plain" alfredo. YS loves it, but I'm always adding a lot of veggies etc. and making into something else altogether. I may have to try this method as a side with something soon. YS will love it!

I have had Jean's variation...didn't think about using it plain with pasta. I know one thing though, it is soooo good with roasted butternut squash!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Looking for a good and simple alfredo sauce by Gourmet_Mom (LJ, thanks for the h...)
Garlic powder?!?!? **faints**

1 clove minced fresh garlic. I saute mine in a bit of butter on a low setting to take the 'garlic bite' out but leaving all the nice flavor.

You'll also need salt and pepper
  Re: Looking for a good and simple alfredo sauce by carolekv (Does anyone have a r...)
Quote:

Does anyone have a really good yet simple and basic alfredo sauce recipe, please? Thanks!

The original is the simplest, yet best you can ever do.

But it takes timing and a hot serving bowl to do simple perfect So pay attention to the timing if you try this one. Once the pasta is done, you need them at the table cause it has to happen immediately!

As dictated to Eugenio Leone (Son of Mother Leone) on a trip to Rome by Chef Alfredo di Lelio of Alfredo's in Rome. Created for his lovely wife.

3/4 Cup creamery butter
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Prepare fettucini in boiling salted water (a good quality will dried pasta is recommended) Remove from pot and drain,

Return to well drained pasta to pot, add half the butter, add half the cheese... toss and stir to combine. Remove to a warmed bowl, add remaining butter and remaining cheese. Toss and serve!

It does not get more authentic or easier than this, and when this is done perfect it can not be beat!

It is important that the bowl be warmed til almost hot. This will allow for service because the problem becomes keeping it from cooling and clumping. Hence the addition of cream in most American Versions of this classic.

I add a little fresh cracked pepper and a hard Italian loaf.

This is from Leone's Italian Cookbook Copyright 1967; I beleive Lorraine has a copy she acquired as well.

Enjoy it is killer good!
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Looking for a good and simple alfredo sauce by bbally ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

3/4 Cup creamery butter

Here's another one of those quirks of popular language usage (or maybe just of advertisers). By definition, a creamery is a place that produces or sells dairy products, especially butter. Thus, saying "creamery butter" is like saying "bakery bread." It seems someone may have used it in advertising, sometime, and the term became common usage. Perhaps it is because many people, today, have no idea what a creamery is, and think the word means "creamy," and somehow implies a higher quality.

This also reminds me of the time Taco Bell advertised a "Grande Quesadilla" that was made with "panadero bread." For those of you who don't speak Spanish, panadero means "baker." Thus, "panadero bread" is "baker bread." It seems as though it could have been an effort, on the part of Taco Bell, to cash in on both the trend of places to use "artisan bread" (even when it really isn't) and of the relative linguistic ignorance of many Americans.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Looking for a good and simple alfredo sauce by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I think a little read on american dairy history will explain the term is not a quirk and help you understand its use, especially in the past.

Note the copyright date of the recipe. Hence the reason for the word Creamery in it. And the designation is coming back thanks to many organic dairies now producing the "dairy" butter once again. The USDA still recognizes the difference in the production code.

At the time of this recipe there were still two types of methodology in use for the production of butter for public sale.

The "dairy" butter usually churned at the farm or cooperative and sold in grocery stores. And thanks to the introduction in Delaval Cream Seperator from Sweden, the much creamier and even melting Creamery butter, made by mechanized churns able to produce a refined smooth, easy melting butter.

While Creamery did not imply a quality that was higher... it did imply a more even melting and smaller grained product.

That being necessary for Alfredo's noodles it was specified as such.

I can do bakery bread if you are interested as it has its place in linguistic history as well.
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Looking for a good and simple alfredo sauce by bbally (I think a little rea...)
Interesting info.

Also interesting to see the usage by "organic dairies," since "organic" technically refers to carbon compounds. Funny how a whole host of commercial usages arose and have become common enough to warrant dictionary placement. It also shows how popular dictionaries follow contemporary culture and usage at the expense of the purely correct meaning of a word. Of course, language does continue to change, and that is one of the things that makes it so fascinating.

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Looking for a good and simple alfredo sauce by labradors (Interesting info.[br...)
And the English language is always in flux.

Yes in the science sense Organic refers to carbon based compounds, organic here refers to "produced without man made compounds"

The only thing certain is change!
Chef de Cuisine

USMC Sgt 1979-1985