Bavarian Apple Torte
  Re: (...)
I got this from Lorraine and made it for dessert the other day. Marilee took the remaining half of it to work 'cause she was afraid she'd eat the rest of it. Everyone loved it. I didn't dust it with powdered sugar 'cause in my opinion someone makes a really good dessert and then ruins it by putting the extra sugar on it. With this dessert it really wasn't necessary...IMO.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bavarian Apple Torte

Recipe By :Lorraine - C2C
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:20
Categories : Cakes-Pies-Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
CRUST
1/2 cup unsalted butter -- softened
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
FILLING
8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
TOPPING
3 large granny Smith apple, peeled and cored -- sliced 1/3" thick
1/2 cup mix of sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg

CRUST: Cream butter and sugar in food processor, add vanilla, add flour and process just until it comes to a ball. Place in an 8-inch springform pan, patting the dough to about 1-inch up the sides.
FILLING: Process the cream cheese and sugar together until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla and process until smooth. Pour into the shell.
TOPPING: Lay the apple slices in concentric circles on top of cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle sugar mixture over the top (you may use maple sugar if you have it).

Bake in preheated 450F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 400F and bake for an additional 20 minutes.

Let cool and dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Bavarian Apple Torte by bjcotton (I got this from Lorr...)
I am headed for apples!!! This looks incredible!!! Oh my I am doing this in place of brownies this weekend...I don't do enough fruit stuff so thanks!

Can you tell I am excited about this one?

Hey everybody check out this recipe!!!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Bavarian Apple Torte by firechef (I am headed for appl...)
Thanks Billy! This really does sound awesome! I'm like LJ, I don't do enough fruit stuff. This is on the short list. I've got to finish my cheesecake experiment this weekend, but probably over the Easter break if not sooner. Good with Easter Ham I'm thinking! I'm wanting to do the molten chocolate thingies for my birthday weekend. That reminds me......Oh Jean....!!!!!

PS, Billy, I also wanna do another souffle over Easter...any suggestions? I'm planning on gettin' me a souffle pan by then! The last one came out fine in the dish I used, but I wanna do it "official" this time. (I also have my new mixer to do the mixing this time!) How about a dessert one this time...something chocolate sounds good....I wanna do a berry when they start coming in, too. Although, I usually prefer savory to sweet. I just have never seen that many savory souffles before. You pick!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Bavarian Apple Torte by bjcotton (I got this from Lorr...)
Which way do you slice the apples? Do you slice them in a way that they come out in "circles" with a hole in the center like a donut or in wedges like you would have to dip in caramel and the like? Does it matter? If it doesn't really matter and is only for a visual then would the apple "donuts" make it look better or the wedges layered over each other?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Bavarian Apple Torte by firechef (Which way do you sli...)
I sliced them in half, cored them and then sliced them crosswise. Started laying them curved side to the left and went round and round with enough apples for a second layer. I have to admit I had to cook them an extra 30 minutes to get the center near set, then as it cooled it became more like a cheesecake. The apples were still crisp even with the extra 30 minutes.

Billy
  Re: Re: Bavarian Apple Torte by bjcotton (I sliced them in hal...)
Now this is my kind of dessert! Thank you so much for posting this, Billy. It sounds scrumptious!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Bavarian Apple Torte by Mare749 (Now this is my kind ...)
Glad you made it , Billy. But, you never said if you liked it??

I peel the apple, quarter it, core it, then slice it thinly. I start at the outside edge of the pan slightly overlapping them, and work my way in. Once baked, it all comes together. Hope you enjoy it!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Bavarian Apple Torte by Lorraine (Glad you made it , B...)
I did enjoy it, but the crust to me seemed a little under done...everyone else just asked if there was any left!

Billy
  Re: Re: Bavarian Apple Torte by bjcotton (I did enjoy it, but ...)
I did this the other night and finally had it last night for dessert.

I loved it but found quite rich. Holly loved the apple flavour but not the apples themselves. I did it in my square springform pan so it was a bit tin. The crust was nice but gooey after a day and a half. It was done (added an extra 7 minutes at 400F) and didn't seem under done. My sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg mixture melted and caramelized to a sludge over the apples in the extra 7 minutes. I think I will let it go a little bit longer and see if I can get a nice "creme brulee style" crust to form on top of the apples next time or take the torch to it.

Thanks again for posting this one.
  Re: Re: Bavarian Apple Torte by firechef (I did this the other...)
"Thanks again for posting this one." - are you sure??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com