Jamaican Jerk Cookbook - Thanks Billy
  Re: (...)
Billy was sweet enough to send me his Jerk Barbecue From Jamaica cookbook! Looks like our tropical vacation will be right here in our kitchen. There are so many wonderful recipes in here. Lots of seafood, ribeyes, desserts, rubs, sauces...

Here are some that have caught my eye... er, stomach!

Jamaican Beef Patties
Likened to an empanada, these pastries are filled with onions, scallions, scotch bonnets (yummmmm), ground beef, thyme and turmeric. Ooooooh gotta put this one at the top of the list.
[Image: 135573657.jpg]

Caribbean Burger
Burgers seasoned with Jerk Seasoning and topped with a fresh pineapple slice and Honey-Ginger sauce.

[Image: Sesame1DE.jpg]

Of course, these are not my photos. But I will take pictures of my 'vacation' as I tour this book and share these recipes with you all.

Thank you Billy!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Jamaican Jerk Cookbook - Thanks Billy by luvnit (Billy was sweet enou...)
That was quick, I just mailed it out on Monday. I'm glad you are enjoying it. Most of the sauces and rubs are too hot for me, I have to tone them down. The Jamaican Coleslaw was really tasty though. Here's the recipe:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Jamaican Cole Slaw

Recipe By :Helen Willinsky
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Salads-Slaws-Dressings

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 cups shredded cabbage
3/4 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup chopped nuts -- optional
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Dry Jerk Seasoning

Combine the cabbage, carrots, and nuts in a large bowl; set aside. Mix together the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, and seasoning. Spoon over cabbage mixture. Toss well. Cover and chill before serving.

Source:
"JERK Barbecue From Jamaica"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Maybe Laura will post the Jerk Seasoning recipe, I don't have it here with me.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Jamaican Jerk Cookbook - Thanks Billy by bjcotton (That was quick, I ju...)
Here ya go!

Dry Jerk Seasoning

1 T. onion flakes
1 T. onion powder
2 t. ground thyme
2 t. salt
1 t. ground pimento (allspice)
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 t. ground cinnamon
2 t. sugar
1 t. coarsely ground black pepper
1 t. cayenne pepper
2 t. dried chives or green onions

Mix together all ingredients. Store leftovers in a tightly closed glass jar. It will keep its pungency for over a month.

YEILD: 5 Tablespoons
Laura
  Re: Re: Jamaican Jerk Cookbook - Thanks Billy by luvnit (Here ya go![br][br] ...)
Thanks Sweetie!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Jamaican Jerk Cookbook - Thanks Billy by bjcotton (Thanks Sweetie!...)
Laura, that burger looks sooo good! When you make that one, how about posting the recipe....that is if you find it worthy!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Jamaican Jerk Cookbook - Thanks Billy by Gourmet_Mom (Laura, that burger l...)
...does make a person very hungry!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jamaican Jerk Cookbook - Thanks Billy by cjs (...does make a perso...)
I love Jamaican style cooking. So much of it is hot but can be "sweetened" without crossing into that sweet/savory combination I do not care for.

It plays with the taste buds so much. You have just got to love it. If you have not tried any of it I suggest it!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Jamaican Jerk Cookbook - Thanks Billy by firechef (I love Jamaican styl...)
Billy that coleslaw looks really good. We love Jamaican. The sweet and hot thing is sooooooo good. The Blonde Tornado spent some time down there and learned to cook a few things. Maybe that will be tonight's dinner??
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Jamaican Jerk Cookbook - Thanks Billy by firechef (I love Jamaican styl...)
I agree with you there LJ. We just talked about the sweet-savory thing on another thread. We just made the Pineapple Rice in Cuisine for two. It was good, but I won't go craving it anytime soon. But there is something about sweet and spicy that ends up being so good. Like the Spicy Peanut Butter Cookies I made the other day. What an unexpected pleasant taste experience. I think you just need the right balance sometimes.
Laura
  Re: Re: Jamaican Jerk Cookbook - Thanks Billy by luvnit (I agree with you the...)
Now doesn't this all sound something to try!!! YUMMMM!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy