Roxanne's B'day Dinner Review - Feb. 25th
  Re: (...)
Since Roxanne made her semi-monthly visit yesterday (?), how about we jump on her menu and get the next dinner going?

(This was Roxanne's post earlier)

I was gonna do a "pork" choice as well but I will go for the "WHERE's THE BEEF????"

Beef Filet with Crab and Scampi----Issue 66---I missed the issue due to the fact that I have had MAJOR distractions but I will do this one for 2/25.

(me - I'll type up the recipes later this a.m.)

The potato galette good too but I think I like the duchesse potatoes better---opinions out there???

(me - Hmmm, shall we make this an either or - the galette or the duchesse potatoes??)

Dessert for my menu----whatever you guys choose----I will so something with chocolate, I think----I'm one of those chocoholics----BIG TIME !! Maybe chocolate covered strawberries---or chocolate mousse---or a sundae with chocoate sauce-or-------------something fairly light!

(me - for dessert, I guess we'll have to wait until she visits again - no dessert for us)

--------------

Are we o.k. to go with this - minus the dessert??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Roxanne's B'day Dinner Review - Feb. 25th by cjs (Since Roxanne made ...)
This is just my 2 cents on the whole matter

Filet with Scampi... YUMMY!

Potato Galettes v. Dutchess... Both sound fabulous! I say let the people choose. However the Filet with Scampi are served ON TOP of the Galettes.

Dessert? I have been craving a chocolate cake lately. I'd like to try something new though. Not sure what yet.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Roxanne's B'day Dinner Review - Feb. 25th by luvnit (This is just my 2 ce...)
Here's the recipes - (After the nutritional info on the last menu plus tomorrow being Valentine's Day, I'm going with the galettes... )Thanks for thinking of this Roxanne, it sounds so good!!!

Crab & Scampi Filets with Spanish Garlic Sauce
Issue #66, page 19

C@H note: The galettes can be made a few hours ahead – just rewarm them in a skillet or in the oven before serving.

Sear in 2 T. olive oil:
4 beef tenderloin filets, 2” thick, seasoned with salt & pepper (6-8 oz. each)

Sauté in 1/3 cup Olive oil; add:
6 garlic cloves, sliced
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
8 oz. king crab leg meat, cut into 1” thick rounds
12 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, sliced lengthwise, tail left on

Deglaze with; finish with:
1/4 cup dry sherry
Juice of 1 lemon
2 T. unsalted butter
Chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 425 F.
Sear filets on one side in 2 T. oil in an ovenproof sauté pan over med-high heat for 5 min.
Turn filets and transfer pan to the oven.
Roast 7 minutes for rare; remove from oven and rest for 5 min.

Sauté garlic, bay leaves, and pepper flakes in 1/3 cup oil in a second sauté pan over med-high heat.
Cook until garlic is golden, 1-2 min. Add crab and shrimp; cook until shrimp are firm and pink, about 3 min.

Deglaze with sherry and lemon juice; simmer to reduce slightly, about 1 minute, and then finish with butter and parsley.
To serve, spoon shrimp and crab sauce over the top of each filet.

NOTE: To reach the lobster meat, use kitchen shears to detach the big “knuckly” at the base of the leg. Cut the leg into 2-3” long pieces, snipping between the joints, then split the shell, snipping thru the pliable light-colored portion.

Carefully remove the meat leaving the inedible tendon behind (reserve the knuckle meat for another use).

-------
Potato Galettes
Makes 4 galettes

1 lb. russet potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/8” thick
2 T. olive oil
2 T. unsalted butter, melted
Salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 425 F.
Toss potatoes with oil, butter, salt, and pepper; heat a large nonstick, ovenproof skillet over med-high.
Form galettes by overlapping potatoes in four 3”-wide circles, layering until all slices are used.

Cook until golden on one side, 5-8 min. Carefully turn galettes over, transfer pan to the oven and cook until tender, 10 min.
-------

Duchess Potatoes with Tomatoes
Makes 4-6 servings

2 lbs. Yukon gold or russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 1/2” chunks.
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temp.
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup tomatoes, seeded, diced
Salt to taste

Preheat oven to 450 F; line a baking sheet with parchment.
Boil potatoes in a large pot of salted water until fork tender, 15-20 min. Drain well, then mash until smooth.

Stir in cream, butter, and yolks just to incorporate; fold in tomatoes and salt. Transfer potatoes to a pastry bag fitted with a 1 1/2” star tip.

Pipe 4-6 mounds onto the prepared baking sheet and bake until tops are lightly browned, 15 min. (Potatoes may be piped, covered, and chilled up to 1 day ahead.)
Serve immediately.

O.K., here we go!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I'd love to play - but we'll be in Ohio and I don't know what's going on back there - maybe I can do it before then and post the review before then. Hmmmm. Sounds good though.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Roxanne's B'day Dinner Review - Feb. 25th by luvnit (This is just my 2 ce...)
It all sounds good to me, either potato works. Of course, I'll have to decontruct Picky's dinner for him, but that won't be too hard. (How I wish that he could just eat something the way it's supposed to be presented)

Anything chocolate works here, too, what say you, Rox?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Roxanne's B'day Dinner Review - Feb. 25th by pjcooks (It all sounds good t...)
Sounds good to me also! Thankfully there's nothing in the recipes I can't get locally! YEAH! I'll probably go with the galettes as well. Probably no dessert hear either....to tempting!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Roxanne's B'day Dinner Review - Feb. 25th by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds good to me al...)
Looks like this may be our Valentine's dinner! I'll have to see how my day goes today. I think the nicest thing I could do for my hubby is clean the house, have the toys picked up before he walks through the door and be prepping our dinner. Sounds like a 'mise en place' kind of day!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
You are sooooo bad, Jean!!!! I do try to visit but sometimes things just happen!!! (a book maybe??? or major debacles with projects that do not go as planned!!!!) I know you're tongue 'n' cheek on this---love the banter!!! Now aren't you happy you made that post????

Thanks for posting the recipes and the reminder---as I posted in a previous message---this was a well....critique later---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Roxanne's B'day Dinner Review - Feb. 25th by luvnit (Looks like this may ...)
This looks so good. I have saved it for a "rainy day" as things are a little tight right now. Once I am back at the old grind stone I'll try this one! Looks so yummy...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)