Billy's Mushroom Pork Marala Recipe
  Re: (...)
I'm making this tonight and it calls for dry Marsala. I could not get Marsala of any kind, but I have tawny port, dry and sweet vermouth. What can I sub? Here's the recipe....

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mushroom Pork Marsala

Recipe By :Billy
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pork

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound pork loin chops -- (4 to 6)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/16 cup butter
1/4 cup shallots -- minced
1 clove garlic -- minced
8 cups mushrooms -- assorted
1/2 cup marsala wine -- dry; to deglaze
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh sage
3/8 cup butter
salt and freshly ground black pepper -- to taste
2 tablespoons fresh parsley -- for garnish
2 slices prosciutto -- frizzles (see note)

Dredge seasoned chops in flour. Saute pork in oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes; flip and saute 5 more minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm.

Melt butter in the same pan. Stir in shallots and garlic, and saute 2 minutes; add mushrooms and saute 8 minutes, or until they release their water and brown.

Deglaze pan with marsala. Add broth, lemon juice, and sage; bring to a boil, and reduce until almost evaporated. Remove from heat and whisk in butter until melted. Season with salt and pepper, return the chops to the pan to reheat and coat with sauce.

Garnish with parsley and prosciutto.

Source:
""Weeknight Menus, Cuisine At Home""
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=44111&an=&page=&vc=1"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 680 Calories; 41g Fat (56.0% calories from fat); 51g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 169mg Cholesterol; 3348mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 6 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 5 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : NOTES : Frizzled Prosciutto: Prosciutto is ham that's cured, salted, and air-dried. A little goes a long way, so it's sliced very thin. And since prosciutto is cured, it doesn't need to be cooked. But for a real treat, you can "frizzle" it--slice it crosswise into thin strips then fry in olive oil about 5 minutes, stirring often until crisp.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Billy's Mushroom Pork Marala Recipe by Gourmet_Mom (I'm making this toni...)
I think I might try the Port. We have ONE SMALL store in Roseburg that carries things like port and Marsala. If they don't have it you're just out of luck. So far they've been able to get everything I've asked for.

Hopefully one of the chefs will see this and have a good answer.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Billy's Mushroom Pork Marala Recipe by bjcotton (I think I might try ...)
Well Billy, I improvised! Cook's Thesaurus recommended equal parts sweet vermouth and sherry. Well, wouldn't you know, that sweet sherry I got a couple weeks ago...which was NOT what I needed that time...went home with OS along with the coconut milk and Carolina Treet! GEEZ! It may be a long time before he raids the pantry, freezer and fridge! Anyway, I made do. I had the sweet vermouth and was just going to go with that, but DD, who had come home for dinner, suggested I use some of the red zin I had in the fridge....why not?

OMG, this was sooooo WONDERFUL! Everyone is raving! DD went home with ALL the leftovers...doubled the recipe for the chops. I did insist on getting out enough for my lunch tomorrow. She was so excited...took the recipe home too! A repeat for sure! I can't imagine how good it would be with the marsala, but my subs turned out AWESOME! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! This is the best experiment lately! A BIG OL' 10+++!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Billy's Mushroom Pork Marala Recipe by Gourmet_Mom (Well Billy, I improv...)
Glad I came along just in time to see that the substitution I was going to recommend is the one you came up with. Marsala is very one of a kind on its own. It is the only wine I cook with I can not drink. I have tried it as I know pretty much what everything I cook tastes like before it gets to the finish line and is served.

Once saw an article in one of the food mags about a Chef dipping a plastic spoon into all of his sauces, soups, and desserts and everything that was served and he took in almost double the "Recommended Daily Allowance" as far as calories go. I think that explains a lot about my "school girl figure!"

Still live by the old gotta know how it tastes before it goes on the plate and out to friends, family and guests!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Billy's Mushroom Pork Marala Recipe by Gourmet_Mom (I'm making this toni...)
You didn't say you had any maderia--I love it and have subed it many times for many things--a little different but as versitile as dry vermouth.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Billy's Mushroom Pork Marala Recipe by Old Bay (You didn't say you h...)
I think your choice of the zin would be the best choice, but anything but the port for my choice anyway!

Have I made this dish? Is it the one we were all concerned about the amount of mushrooms a while back??? If so, I did make it -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Billy's Mushroom Pork Marala Recipe by cjs (I think your choice...)
Jean, I'm not sure, but this one called for 8 cups of mushrooms and 4 pork chops. I doubled everything but the mushrooms and it was perfect!

Oops, correct that, I did NOT double the butter...LOL! That would have been two sticks! I think just one made it creamy enough.
Daphne