Mincemeat w/Brandy and Rum
  Re: (...)
I have 3 cases of Mincemeat donated to the Soup Kitchen. Does anyone have recipes other than Mincemeat Pie? We need to use up 72-27oz Jars of Bordens Mincemeat w/Brandy and Rum made with Apples and Raisins???

Any Suggestions? Soups - - Casseroles?
Chef Bartlett
Chef Barttlet
"WE only cook for SINNERS - - we BURN the HELL out of EVERYTHING!"
  Re: Mincemeat w/Brandy and Rum by ChefBartlett (I have 3 cases of Mi...)
Can't stand the stuff myself but am checking with my mother and will have a recipe or two by days end!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Mincemeat w/Brandy and Rum by firechef (Can't stand the stuf...)
My first suggestion is - Picadillo means (loosely, I think ) mincemeat - I have used mincemeat as a sub for picadillo. My suggestion is to use it in any recipe calling for a picadillo, such as -

LEFTOVERS - Turkey Picadillo

5 cups roasted turkey leftovers (no skin)
4 TB olive oil
1 cup white onion -- diced
3 cloves garlic -- minced
1 cup pitted green olives -- drained and sliced in rounds
1/3 cup whole capers -- drained
1 cup whole blanched almonds
2 cans diced tomatoes -- (28 oz each) with juice
1 TB sugar
2 bay leaves
sea salt -- to taste
pepper -- to taste
1/2 cup raisins

Ingredient Options: the almonds will break in half as they cook. You may choose to start with chopped almonds instead. For a spicier dish, add one teaspoon of chipotle adobo sauce (not gluten-free) when adding the tomatoes.

Chop your turkey leftovers into cubes. You may use white, dark or a combination of meats, but remove the skin.

In medium sized pot, heat the olive oil at medium heat and add the onions to cook slowly for about 6 minutes stirring from time to time. Add the garlic, stir and cook for another minute. Add the turkey cubes, olives, capers and almonds, stir and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juice, the sugar and the bay leaves and heat to a slow simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the raisins, cook for another 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.

-----

Maybe use as a filling for 'wonton' raviolis and make a nice gravy to serve them with.

Maybe add some walnuts and use to stuff peppers and top with a walnut sauce, that I just happen to have that is delicious....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mincemeat w/Brandy and Rum by cjs (My first suggestion ...)
Jean, are you suggesting that I delete the cubed Turkey and in its place, substitute the mincemeat in place of the Turkey??? Then proceed with the recipe as you shown?
Bart
Chef Barttlet
  Re: Re: Mincemeat w/Brandy and Rum by ChefBartlett (Jean, are you sugges...)
I was thinking maybe add the mincemeat to the turkey or pork cubes and maybe add some of the other ingred. like capers and gr. olives, cinnamon to cut the sweetness a little. Maybe some tomatoes also, then you could serve over rice, or leave a little dryer and you could make tostados also, maybe garnish with sliced radishes. Or empanandas, maybe just sandwiches.

I wonder how meatloaf would be with mincemeat added. I guess what I would do is dump a jar of the mincemeat in a lage bowl and just start adding goodies - a grainy mustard, cheddar cheese,....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mincemeat w/Brandy and Rum by cjs (I was thinking maybe...)
Thanks Jean,
My folks at the Kitchen, really like Rice Casseroles - - I think that Marcela and I will experiment with part of your your ideas and make a few trial casseroles to see how they turn out - - if we can control the sweetness with chillies, vinegar and/or cinnamon - - combined with a slow roasted smoke pork shoulder (shredded) will possibly be an answer - - we also have cases and cases of Field and Black Eye Peas- -I am thinking that the babies might have just found a new home???? A real Southern Dish!

Thanks for leading us down this road - - you have been an inspiration - - we keep you informed as the saga unfolds!!! And by the way, - I know that all the Homies at the Kitchen thank you as well!!!

TX- bart and marcela
Chef Barttlet
  Re: Re: Mincemeat w/Brandy and Rum by ChefBartlett (Thanks Jean, [br]My ...)
anxious to hear what you do - I'll have to get a jar of mincemeat to keep on hand until I hear...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mincemeat w/Brandy and Rum by cjs (anxious to hear what...)
I have a jar stashed away - we didn't do Mincemeat pie this year. I could just sit down with the jar and a spoon.

Chef I've got a mincemeat cookie recipe somewhere around here that is wonderful if you'd like it. I have been known to swirl it into softened vanilla ice cream and then refreeze it and serve.

Jean I'm likin' the savory ideas. Hmmm, interesting ideas to play with when we get home.

When I was a kid we had a family friend who worked for Borden. Every year he'd give us jars of their "special" edition with brandy and rum. Back then, as the earth was cooling, they didn't sell that one on the market - well at least not in Washington State, so it was really special.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!