Saying goodbye to a good friend is so hard
  Re: (...)
On Friday, we euthanized our sweet, 10-year-old yellow lab named Roxanne. She had contracted bone cancer in her right shoulder and we noticed it about six months ago. We thought it was arthritis at first. It was time to end her suffering as the pain meds no longer seemed to work for her. A week ago Monday, hubby and I decided it was time. We informed the kids. The older kids who live away from home phoned and we reminisced about good times with Roxy. Teenage daughter and college boy wanted to come with to the appointment. Our vet was very compassionate and daughter and I said our goodbyes and left the room after she’d been sedated. Hubby and the boy stayed with her to the end. Afterwards, we weren’t sure what to do next and no one wanted to go home. So we stopped at a casual restaurant called the Courier Café and had an early dinner. We reminisced about Roxy and talked and laughed about many other things and it was incredibly cathartic. It was one of those special times that just can't be planned.

We first brought Roxy home on Thanksgiving weekend in 1997 and she was a family member ever since. She looked a bit like Labs’ avatar. So, Labs’, please don’t ever change that avatar!

Hope you don’t mind me sharing my sad story here with my food friends…
  Re: Saying goodbye to a good friend is so hard by HomeCulinarian (On Friday, we euthan...)
I'm so sorry, that must have been a very difficult decision. But the way you all handled it was perfect, you joined together and shared your memories over lunch. My thoughts are with you and your family, it's so terribly hard to lose a pet, a member of the family.

God Bless,

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Saying goodbye to a good friend is so hard by pjcooks (I'm so sorry, that m...)
HC, I can sympathize. I won't go into details, but we had to put down our 12(?) year old black lab a year and a half ago, and it still hurts. I miss her terribly. We were lucky, YS had purchased a puppy a year before, so she was able to soothe the pain, but I'll never forget my Tarbaby! It's funny now that I think on it, I think that may be why Cricket...who still thinks she's a lap dog...and I are so close.

I think the way you handled it is so special. What a sad, yet memorable day.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saying goodbye to a good friend is so hard by pjcooks (I'm so sorry, that m...)
Oh, how I empathise with you. Loss of a pet is far more than some realise. This site is full of pet lovers, so you are telling people who do understand. We had to put our beautiful blonde Asia down recently, before Xmas, the kids planted lilies on her grave. Dear old Africa, has pined for her since, he spends most of his time under my desk. he is two years older than Asia, and his back legs are very tottery. Time will come soon, that we will have to see him cross the Rainbow Bridge. But I am dreading it.
  Re: Saying goodbye to a good friend is so hard by HomeCulinarian (On Friday, we euthan...)
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I lost my second best friend last March and had a very difficult time with it. I would like to suggest you visit www.petloss.com. If your vet has not told you about the Rainbow Bridge this is a place for that--and it is a very good site to share your grief with others--and they have a candle light service every Monday evening. This web site helped me a great deal. You may also register your pet's name on their list. Bless you and yours.
Madeline
  Re: Re: Saying goodbye to a good friend is so hard by pink_eagle (My thoughts and pray...)
Oh, the Rainbow Bridge! Someone posted that on another forum a while back after another cyberfriend lost a pet. The poem was posted, which I thought was so beautiful and comforting. I didn't realize there was a website attached! HC, you MUST read the poem at least!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Quote:

... Labs’, please don’t ever change that avatar!

So sorry to hear about your loss. I don't plan on changing my avatar, so don't worry. Don't forget: you could always just right click on it then click "save image" so you would have your own copy of it.

P.S. On USA Network, the Westminster Kennel Club Show is on RIGHT NOW!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Saying goodbye to a good friend is so hard by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
This is so true! I met Dale's Asia when I was visiting there. She kind of adopted me. Dale would put her and Africa out every morning, but she would sneak in and be waiting outside my door when I got up. Such a sweet friend.

I mourn with you in your loss.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Saying goodbye to a good friend is so hard by bjcotton (This is so true! I ...)
OMG! Thanks Labs! I almost missed it! It would be the first time in years! I thought it was NEXT WEEK! I associate it with Valentines. Hubby and I had an arguement over dinner a few minutes ago. He said it was on, I said no! Thought it was aired by Fox...

Shoot, I did miss it! It's ending now! They bumped up the time to show WWF Raw! ARGGG! At least I won't miss my favorite breeds for the next two nights! Thanks!
  Re: Re: Saying goodbye to a good friend is so hard by Gourmet_Mom (OMG! Thanks Labs! ...)
Yeah - short coverage on USA Network tonight, but it will be continuing on CNBC (which I don't have)

Tomorrow, it starts at 8PM Eastern time, on USA, and continues to the end.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?