Meatballs
  Re: (...)
Ok, I was sooo tired tonight, I took a couple short cuts. On the menu was Sharon's Grandmother's Swedish Meatball recipe. First shortcut, I used store bought no yolk egg noodles. Next shortcut, I baked/broiled the meatballs instead of frying them.

Finally, we've got a very nice teacher leaving tomorrow and someone decided to do an impromptu appy buffet in the teacher's lounge as a surprise. I wasn't going to make anything, but on the way home I remembered the "Oddballs" mix in the freezer. What's a girl to do? I thaw the stuff out and HOPE the first baking meatballs turn out. They did. I'm sure they weren't as good as frying but they were darned good! THANKS Sharon...this is a repeat for sure!

While I was making dinner and the "oddballs" were thawing, I threw on some marinara. After dinner, the "oddballs" were thawed, so I rolled them up appy size and baked/broiled them. (I might also add, both times I used cooking spray on the foil and on the meatballs.) There was a lot of liquid in the foil lined pan, but I tossed them in the marinara...minus the liquid. I just tasted them and it was like eating lasagna without the pasta! The ricotta and seasonings were more pronounced than frying! "Oddballs" are resting in the marinara in a crockpot liner in the fridge...waiting to be set on high in the morning in the lounge for an hour or two before turning back for service. What a cool easy appy this turned out to be! I don't know if my coworkers will appreciate the offering, but I gotta tell you ...I thought they were darn GOOD!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Meatballs by Gourmet_Mom (Ok, I was sooo tired...)
I really like this recipe, Daphne. It's good to hear you had success without frying, I'll try this next time.

Aren't they delicious? They'll be the star of the party

PJ
  Re: Re: Meatballs by pjcooks (I really like this r...)
Must try this - can't remember the last time I fried meatballs, been going the oven route for quite some time.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Meatballs by cjs (Must try this - can'...)
What great ideas! I will certainly try it the next time I do meatballs. Thank you for the heads up on this.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Meatballs by Gourmet_Mom (Ok, I was sooo tired...)
Daphne,

I always oven-bake my meatballs. I just don't fry them anymore. Looks like Jean does the same thing. I made the same swedish meatball recipe and it was fabulous! I still have to try Sharon's Custard Rich Rolls. I guess we've been feeling a little 'overfed' lately. But now that the holidays are over, I'd like to give em a try.

Maybe we should start a poll?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Meatballs by luvnit (Daphne,[br][br]I alw...)
I love polls!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Meatballs by cjs (I love polls!!!...)
Quote:

I love polls!!!

Me too - especially when they make kielbasa and pierogi.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Meatballs by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I chose yes and no for both because I have done it both ways...according to the recipe. Not any more. I'm doing the oven thing from now on! Sooooo much easier...cooking AND cleaning!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Meatballs by Gourmet_Mom (I chose yes and no f...)
Same here Daphne! Geeze it doesn't make any sense to shape the meatballs and put them on a baking sheet, fry them, and then put on another baking sheet until they are all done. I will never fry them again - unless I'm without an oven and have to make meatballs.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Meatballs by Harborwitch (Same here Daphne! G...)
Quote:

... it doesn't make any sense to shape the meatballs and put them on a baking sheet, fry them, and then put on another baking sheet until they are all done.

From what I learned when I worked at the caterer's place, I use an ice-cream-style scoop to put the meatballs onto the baking sheet in no time, allowing the individual meatballs to pack very closely, then just bake them until they are done. When I used to roll them by hand and fry them, I hated making meatballs. Now, I love it!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?