Roux - Save or let go?
  Re: (...)
Ok so I fried some wonderful porkchops, and I always like to make a nice roux for gravy. Had plenty of fat to make a really nice roux. Only I need about 1/2 of it. Think I could I freeze the other half to use later for a fast gravy?

I should say the reason why this roux is so 'special' to me is because I cooked almost 1/2 lb of bacon and use that fat along with some veg. oil to make my roux. Bacon fat is very rare in my house as hubby is watching cholesterol and daughter is a vegetarian. So this is gold to me
  Re: Roux - Save or let go? by DFen911 (Ok so I fried some w...)
Freeze it! For a couple of months anyway.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Roux - Save or let go? by DFen911 (Ok so I fried some w...)
I'd try and freeze it, you would have to warm it up before making the gravy, so I think you would know if it was ok or it was going to hold the gravy before adding the other stuff. Shure is better than ditching it.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Roux - Save or let go? by esgunn (I'd try and freeze i...)
I agree...I figure it's better to try than not. If it doesn't look right after thawing it, you can toss it. If you toss it, you'll never know.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Roux - Save or let go? by Gourmet_Mom (I agree...I figure i...)
No problem with freezing it. People freeze roux all the time, especially brown roux (since it takes so long to make). Even so, don't keep it for a year or more - use it sooner.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Roux - Save or let go? by labradors (No problem with free...)
Oh that's wonderful news I'll probably use it within a few weeks.

Thanks!!