Some interesting books that I picked up today.....
  Re: (...)
I wanted something to listen to on my flight to Fla. tomorrow, so I picked up the CD book, Heat (an amateur's adventures as a kitchen slave, line cook, pasta-maker, and apprentice to a dante-quoting butcher in Tuscany) at my local library today.

Also, picked up The Art of Eating by M.F.K. Fisher and The Soul of a New Cuisine, by Marcus Samuelsson, (thank you, Sharon!) to read when I get back. All sound fascinating!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Some interesting books that I picked up today..... by Mare749 (I wanted something t...)
Ooh, sounds interesting. Let us know how they are!
Have fun in Orlando. I have a friend heading to Orlando tomorrow for a wedding. She said it was 85 today! Oh, how I would love some sun and heat!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Some interesting books that I picked up today..... by esgunn (Ooh, sounds interes...)
You've picked up some titles I'd like to get, too. Please give us a little book report after you read them!

My son is reading Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health by Marion Nestle. Says it's really interesting. Sounds like it's similar to Fast Food Nation.
  Re: Some interesting books that I picked up today..... by Mare749 (I wanted something t...)
Bob is a big fan of the books on cd. He loves having a book to "read" while he's driving around.

Have fun on your trip! Sounds like some great reading. Enjoy the Sameulsson book!!! We sure are.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Some interesting books that I picked up today. by Harborwitch (Bob is a big fan of ...)
My little sis likes to "read" books on CD. I like silence when I'm driving, no radio, no music, no CD. I never get lonely driving, I tend to live in my head.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Some interesting books that I picked up today. by bjcotton (My little sis likes ...)
"Fast Food Nation." - How funny this came up today!! We watched this last night! What a movie.

After reading 10th Muse, I'm going to 'dig in' to MFK Fisher, I've just read a couple of her things, what a fun project that will be. Also, after reading that darn book, the margins are full of little notes saying, "get this," "get this," "get....

Safe trip, Maryann!! (it is maryann, isn't it???)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Some interesting books that I picked up today. by cjs ("Fast Food Nation." ...)
Have a great time and safe trip Maryann! (BTW, didn't you just get back? I sooo envy you!) What great titles you've got there. I've promised myself to finish Sauces before I move on...except for 10th Muse. I got stuck on Sauces recently...I'll use MFK Fisher as a teaser to motivate me to finish it! It's just that there is sooo much info, I find I can only absorb so much at one time. How are you doing with this one Sharon?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Some interesting books that I picked up today. by Gourmet_Mom (Have a great time an...)
Has anyone read Kitchen Confidential : Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain. While I don't really care to watch many of his shows, I hear his books are a good read.
  Re: Re: Some interesting books that I picked up today. by DFen911 (Has anyone read Kitc...)
I have Denise. And yes, the books were interesting if you can block out all the vulgar language this man uses. It just amazes me that a writer can't think of words to get his point across without using the "f" word in every other sentence. On top of which, some of the other topics that he chooses to discuss are absolutely disgusting. That said, the books will tell you what it's like to work in a New York city restaurant.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Some interesting books that I picked up today. by Gourmet_Mom (Have a great time an...)
Daphne, yes, I did just get back from a cruise that I took with my hubbie for our anniversary. It was wonderful, but I was sick for a week after we got home which is why I never posted anything about the trip. Now, I'm going to visit my brother for a few days. After that, I need to stay home and get back to work!

Maryann
Maryann