Baked Orzo w/ Fontina & Peas - Love at first bite
  Re: (...)
We love Giada on FoodTv - and Saturday she prepared a meal that we HAD to have for dinner. This was the side dish - and OMG. We did gild the lilly a bit by spritzing the top with truffle oil - last night we had the leftovers with a salad for dinner.

4 cups chicken broth 1 pound orzo pasta
3 tablespoons butter, plus more to grease the baking dish
1 onion, chopped
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 cup Marsala wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 ounces shredded fontina cheese (about 1 cup)
4 ounces diced fresh mozzarella cheese (about 1 cup)
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Butter a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Bring the chicken broth to a boil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan. Add the orzo and cook until almost tender, about 7 minutes. Pour the orzo and the broth into a large bowl. Set aside. Meanwhile, melt the butter over medium heat in a medium skillet. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to saute until the mushrooms are beginning to turn golden around the edges, about 7 minutes. Add the Marsala. Scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan and cook until the Marsala has reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the mushroom mixture to the orzo in the large bowl. Add the cream, fontina, mozzarella, peas, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. In a small bowl combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and dried thyme. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture on top of the pasta. Bake until golden, about 25 minutes.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Baked Orzo w/ Fontina & Peas - Love at first bite by Harborwitch (We love Giada on Foo...)
Sounds Wonderful!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Baked Orzo w/ Fontina & Peas - Love at first bite by Harborwitch (We love Giada on Foo...)
Copied and saved! I can actually taste this one just reading the recipe, Sharon. Thanks for posting. I like a lot of Giada's dishes, in fact, I probably use more of her recipes than anyone else on the food network.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Baked Orzo w/ Fontina & Peas - Love at first bite by Mare749 (Copied and saved! I...)
I think I could eat this for breakfast! It's going to be a repeater I think - talk about yummy!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Thank you, Sharon, this sounds like something I'd really love. Copied and printed!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Baked Orzo w/ Fontina & Peas - Love at first bite by pjcooks (Thank you, Sharon, t...)
Thanks Sharon. The majority of my FTV recipes are Giada's or Emeril's. I use her marinara to this day. It's pretty basic, but I got it from her site. We love pasta, cheese, and peas. As a matter of fact, I think I've got one of her's I used recently that was pasta, cheese, peas, and cherry tomatoes that we loved.

Copied and saved!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Baked Orzo w/ Fontina & Peas - Love at first bite by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Sharon. The ...)
O.K., Sharon, no way could I pass this one up.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
oh, does that sound good!
  Re: Re: Baked Orzo w/ Fontina & Peas - Love at first bite by HomeCulinarian (oh, does that sound ...)
Sharon, we tried this tonight and I have a question. I subbed provolone for the fontina. Is there enough difference in flavor that it would have kept it from being a WOW dish or is it what I suspect...Billy's pork was so WOW it overpowered the dish? Don't get me wrong, it was VERY good! I think it's just the flavors were not what I needed to compliment the pork dish. I will definitely make it again, but maybe with a different protein like a steak or simple chicken dish. I'm hurting for good sides and this is definitely on my regular list.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Baked Orzo w/ Fontina & Peas - Love at first bite by Gourmet_Mom (Sharon, we tried thi...)
Daphne, I think it is probably the pork is just so on. I have not tried the orzo yet, but the Weeknight menu's served the pork with just plain buttered fettuccine with a little grated parmesan or Asiago.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.