beef Tenderloin
  Re: (...)
I have a beef tenderloin approx 11 #'s I bought at Costco for Christmas
and didn't get a Chance to use it.

I want to Cut it up and have a Roast for 6 people

and use the rest for filets.

Do I brown it first before Roasting How do I Season and Roast.
I know I kneed to Tie it.

I have a Blue Cheese Sauce I want to Serve with it.

Thanks for any help.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: beef Tenderloin by mjkcooking (I have a beef tender...)
I don't know about anybody else, but I use salt, pepper, and a little garlic and roast low and slow. I used to time it and use my instant read, but now use a digital probe to get the right temp. I've not had any complaints. The Blue Cheese Sauce sounds interesting....care to share? I just saved the blue cheese ideas thread and am suddenly feeling like trying your idea for DH birthday dinner Friday. So much for meal planning.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: beef Tenderloin by Gourmet_Mom (I don't know about a...)
I agree with low and slow and a garlic cracked pepper rub is perfect...I know several people that will go up to 425 plus for a short period of time before dropping to about 225 to 250 until you hit your desired temp. Don't forget you'll keep cooking after you first come out of the oven...I like to pull at about 135 to 145...I know that's a bit low but thats how I've always done it...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: beef Tenderloin by Gourmet_Mom (I don't know about a...)
here's the Sauce I have made once and turned out great.

Gorgonzola Sauce

4 cups heavy cream
3 to 4 ounces. Crumbly Gorgonzola (not Creamy or Dolce)
3 T. freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
23/4 tes. kosher salt
3/4 tea. freshly ground black pepper
3 T. minced fresh parsley

Bring the cream to a full boil in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat, then continue to boil rapidly for 45 to 50 minutees, until it's thicken, like a white sauce, stirring occasionally.

Remove the pan from the heat and add the Gorgonzola, Parmesan, salt, pepper and parsley,

Whisk rapidly until the cheese melts and then serve. If you must reheat, warm the sauce over low heat until
melted, then wisk virorously until the sauce comes together.
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: beef Tenderloin by mjkcooking (here's the Sauce I ...)
Here's the Beef Recipe I have:

1 - filet of beef (4-5 #) tied>
2 T. unsalted butter at room temp.
1 T. Kosher Salt
1T. Coarsely ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
pat dry - place beef on a baking sheet.

Marye

Do I need to Brown it first?

Thanks

Marye

Spread Butter on with your hands, Sprinkle evenly with the salt and pepper. Roast in the over for exactly 22 minutes for rare and 25 minutes for medium rare.

Remove from oven, cover it tightly with aluminum foil, and allow to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes Remove the Strings and slice the filet thickly.

Serves 12 or more
I don't see a reason for browning...I am normally a slow and low kinda guy with most roasts including "Prime Rib" as well.

Thanks for posting the blue sauce as well!!! Looks yummy...let me know how it turns out!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: beef Tenderloin by mjkcooking (here's the Sauce I ...)
Blue and Gorgonzola are not the same cheese...I know you know that but they do interchange well.

I have a Gorgonzola modified Alfredo I use with a fillet of beef medallion and fettuccine at work...found out they have been using blue crumbles when I am not there...

Your sauce looks good no matter which you use!
Marye, You shouldn't need to brown it first. That is why the high heat - it gives it a good brown first. I have not done a tenderloin, but I did do a primerib. High first, then turn down to low like the others have said until reaches desired temp - taking into consideration resting and continued cooking.

The main thing is the hight temp will do your browning for you.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: beef Tenderloin by esgunn (Marye, You shouldn'...)
Just checked in The Best Recipe book about preparing tenderloin. It says that both the slow and low finishing hot and quick and hot cooking methods produced a good outcome. They recommend the quick and hot since it takes less time.

They also have you bring the meat to room temperature first, rub is olive oil, salt and pepper, more pepper than salt. Roast at 425 for about 45 minutes, until internal temp is 125. Remove and let stand for 30 minutes before slicing.
  Re: Re: beef Tenderloin by esgunn (Marye, You shouldn'...)
I'm of the school of high heat (425 - 450 F.) to start and reduce to 350 F. to finish the roast off. Roasting on an open low sided pan will take care of the browning at the higher temp.

Pull from the oven when the temperatures reaches 125 F. for rare; 130-135 F. for medium and any higher than that I won't comment on. Tent and let rest for 15-20 minutes.

Your sauce sounds very tasty! And if you have any fresh rosemary (about 1 T.), it would be wonderful replacing the parsley in the sauce.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com