Stimson Cab & Merlot
  Re: (...)
Earlier this a.m., I posted this on another forum which has just started a wine forum and a gal was wondering if matching side dishes was important in choosing a wine. After I posted the below, I got to thinking maybe we here on C@H would enjoy some wine talk. So, I'll lead it off here with my ramblings....

Stimson Estate Cellars is a wine put out by Chateau Ste. Michelle of Washington and sells for under $10.00. We quite often buy their Cab and Merlot in 1.5 liters. But, one day, since I really prefer the combination of these two wines, we combined two bottles and this has become almost our 'house' wine lately. It's a wonderful combination.

The reason of this post is Highlands asked about side dishes matching wines. Last night, I cooked pork medallions in a cider sauce (just apple cider, dry white wine & cider vineger - a little pepper, thats all).

For sides, I had a Fettuccini mixed with lemon zest, a little olive oil, minced garlic and just a tad of parmesan, but the flavor really came from the flavored pasta. 2-3 years ago, in Windsor, CO I had picked up some Curry-Leek pasta and I've just been slowly using it up. What a wonderful combination.

Now, to add to the fusion confusion of this silly dinner, I sauteed some bok choy, cabbage & red bells with a little sugar, salt & pepper and fish sauce. finished with just a dash of sesame oil.

By now, you must know I just felt like playing in the kitchen yesterday!! when we managed to get a little of each on a fork and taste together and then taste the wine, oh my, what a wonderful experience. Even each dish alone was very good with the Cab/Merlot mixture.

So, I guess the idea of this long tale is - how fun it is to match the side dishes, but also fun to play with blending and matching wines together.
  Re: Stimson Cab & Merlot by cjs (Earlier this a.m., I...)
Of course the French have been pairing merlot and cab forever. I think it is the best way to drink Merlot. Bordeaux was the most famous wine in the world for a longtime because it paired so well. I have always believed that pinot noir from the new world had the potential to be almost universal at least for savory dishes and sides. Burgundy doesn't work quite as well. I've been trying to find Cht. St. Michelle's dry Reisling (we don't get it in Texas),I believe it might be very versatile too--it is a grape that has been forgotten, but one of the great ones. I believe all we get here is the semi dry type.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".