Fat Tuesday
  Re: (...)

Its coming soon - do you have any traditions and recipes for Fat Tuesday ?

We have alway had Pancakes on at that - and I usually put a can of Corn

in them. Not sure where I got this tradition but it has stuck all these

years.

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Fat Tuesday by mjkcooking ([br]Its coming soon ...)
Oh, I've never done anything for Fat Tuesday, but I'd love to learn more about this -

This is all I know - off to look for more infor (meaning food )
Fat Tuesday is Mardi Gras, the festival New Orleans, Louisiana, is famous for. "Gras" is French for fat and "Mardi" is French for Tuesday.

The annual festivities start on January 6, the Twelfth Night Feast of the Epiphany, when the three kings are supposed to have visited the Christ Child, and build to a climax on Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday, which always occurs on the day before Ash Wednesday. The parties and parades will continue until Lent begins at the stroke of midnight on Tuesday.

Mardi Gras is a legal holiday in New Orleans. It is scheduled to occur 46 days before Easter. Since the actual date Easter occurs on changes yearly, Mardi Gras can happen on any Tuesday between February 3 and March 9.

For two centuries it has been an annual event in New Orleans, except during the two World Wars.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Oh, I don't know, I seem to be just as fat the rest of the week as Tuesday.
  Re: Re: Fat Tuesday by lxxf (Oh, I don't know, I ...)
The one time we did something special was when our old Bon Appetit Club's main menu included Mardi Gras recipes. I only remember having Gumbo and King Cake. The rest of the menu evades me probably due to age, or libations in celebration of the holiday.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Re: Re: Fat Tuesday by Corinne (The one time we did ...)
Interesting, Jean-----now FAT????? LOVE fat!!!!

I have not been to New Orleans but love to cook some of the specialties---especially Emeril's ----ARTERY clogging for sure but YUMMMM!!!!

My sister lived there for a while---how is the recovery from Katrina----just curious cuz we don't get that follow-up here---?????
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Fat Tuesday by Roxanne 21 (Interesting, Jean---...)
I'm hoping bbally will post a recipe for fasnachts.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Fat Tuesday by labradors (I'm hoping bbally wi...)
It's time to party it up, and ....eat. Fat Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday. It is also known as Mardi Gras Day or Shrove Day. It is a day when people eat all they want of everything and anything they want as the following day is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of a long fasting period for Christians. In addition to fasting, christians also give up something special that they enjoy. So, Fat Tuesday is a celebration and the opportunity to enjoy that favorite food or snack that you give up for the long lenten season.

Source: http://www.holidayinsights.com/christian/fat2day.htm
Quote:

Its coming soon - do you have any traditions and recipes for Fat Tuesday ?

We have alway had Pancakes on at that - and I usually put a can of Corn

in them. Not sure where I got this tradition but it has stuck all these

years.

marye

I was just reading about this the other day I don't know where you got the 'corn' but pancakes are typically served on Shrove Tuesday (Fat Tuesday). In England they call it Pancake Day. The corn must be your own special version.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Fat Tuesday by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)

Thanks for all the input - hope you enjoy the day with something special

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Fat Tuesday by mjkcooking ([br]Thanks for all t...)
"It is a day when people eat all they want of everything and anything they want as the following day is Ash Wednesday,"

Now, isn't that a day I would love!! I've heard it put that way before and have always been envious.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com